GS450T Won't Turn Over

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450T Won't Turn Over

I bought the bike last summer, rode throughout the short season here in Minnesota, and everything was working well. While attempting to return the bike to service, I have run into issues with the bike turning over. It doesn't even attempt to start (i.e. doesn't chug or sputter out), just quiet click when I press the start button, and another one when I let go. I've got a good filter, charged battery, and good spark plugs, and I have power to the lights and horn, so I'm unsure what exactly may have caused this. I'm just wondering if you guys think I missed anything while trying to return it to service that would give me these symptoms, or if a part may have degraded over the winter. One of my buddies said it might be the starter solenoid.

Thanks for any help you can give,
    Steve K

Quite likely the starter solenoid or even though you charged your battery, if it's on the way out it could still be that.

To check if it's your solenoid, short the two big terminals together *carefully* and see if that cranks the starter motor.

If so, then yes your solenoid is toast.

If not, it could be the battery or the starter motor itself.

Have you had the starter itself out and apart to check the state of the brushes?
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Probably your bike didn't like the winter -I know that I didn't!
      Do your lights dim when solenoid just clicks? If not, then the starter motor isn't being fed by solenoid (or a mouse chewed thru cable). If they dim, then starter is being fed, but if it doesn't seem to be turning, suspect bad connections or bad brushes inside starter motor.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'll take a look at the solenoid and let you know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
        X