X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

check oil with new cooler- hot or cold

I added a cooler to my ez
    i want to make sure i am checking the oil right
    as the oil will leak down back into the case from the cooler??

so i should start it up
    let it run a few min to pump the oil threw the cooler and what not
    then turn it off
    on both wheels
    straight up
    then check the oil?

Does your cooler have the ports on the top or the bottom?
    How much oil does the cooler hold?

If the cooler drains back (ports on the bottom) then you've got to add that amount to your measurement. It might be higher than your window.

Some measure hot, some cold. It's not really that different. You just want to make sure that the oil level doesn't go so high that the crank is hitting the oil and frothing it up like a milk for a latte. On the other end, you want to make sure the engine isn't starving for oil.

If I was super anal, I would measure how much oil is in your cooler. Then put your bike on the center stand and add that amount to the crankcase and see where it lines up in the window. You might have to make your new measurement with the bike on the side stand depending on how big your cooler is. You want to make sure that you can see the top of the oil no matter what you do. If your crankcase is filling with fuel from a petcock or float valve failure, you need to be able to see the top of the oil.

My cooler has ports on the top, so the oil stays in there when the motor is off.

You modified your filter cover right? or got an 1150 cover?

-Kevin

Comment

i put on an 1150 cover and cooler

Comment

all these old turds hold 3 1/2 ish quarts..
        i wouldn't loose any sleep.

Comment

Working...
        X