Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My GS is ****ing oil and it has to stop. Pleas help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS is ****ing oil and it has to stop. Pleas help.

Hi.

1981 GS1100E

Long story short my engin is leaking oil and I need your help.
    I isolated the leaks to the valve cover the oil pressure switch and the stator cover.

Valve Cover:
    The valve cover gasket is a pita... The leak is in the front middle, where the cam chain is.
    I tried a new oem gasket and that lasted 4 moths
    I then tried the Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance RTV Silicone Gasket Maker and it's still leaking from the same spot. ( I might have put the beed to close to the edge since the cover and the base is not an exact mirror image.
    Q: Before I open it up again and spend the time cleaning the sealant and try apply it one more time did any of you encounter this issue and what did you do it permanently fix it?

I have seen a silicone gasket, http://www.realgaskets.com.
    Q: Any one tried this?

Stator Cover:
    I will try the Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance on the stator cover. I think this will work OK.
    Q: What do you think.

Oil Presure Switch:
    Q: Can I ust the Permatex Ultra Black Maximum Oil Resistance as O-ring replacements or should I get the OEM rings? Do you have a better source?
    This leak is not that bad and I can wait until I get new orings.

Thank you

If you're not sure, go for
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Sorry - fat fingers.

Go for OEM parts wherever you can. Should solve your problems at the oil pressure switch and stator cover.

As for the valve cover leak, it sounds like either your head or cover could be distorted or damaged. I note you say the cover is not a good fit to the head. Are you sure it is the correct cover for your model? Photos may help here.
      Last edited by steveb922; 06-20-2014, 01:18 PM. Reason: spelling
      1980 GS550ET

Comment

Gorping your way around the issue of oil leaks guarantees two things: You will spend money on gorp, and you will keep smearing it in there. Get the correct parts. If there is an issue where the valve cover leaks, using a new gasket, add a little of the RTV at that point (to clean mating surfaces).
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Doesn't this particular engine suffer from o-ring leakage?

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I use this and have no leaks anywhere. Cleans up with alcohol. Use sparingly. Clean mating surfaces properly.

Comment

Yes to OEM o-rings.

If your engine has the tach drive in the valve cover (and I'm 99.9% sure yours does), you can ONLY use an OEM valve cover gasket. Aftermarket ones are rarely the same thickness and you will chew up the tach worm gear on the exhaust camshaft. (The PO did it on my 750E.) Some members have used realgaskets on their 8-valve heads. They're reported to work okay, but like I said before, you can't use 'em on this engine unless you don't want a tach anymore.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                Doesn't this particular engine suffer from o-ring leakage?

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...70#post1898470

Mine are not leaking from those o-ringed bolts.

Comment

Thanks for the head's up on the tach drive.
                  I was planing on going full electronic this winter with speedo and tach. Looks Like it will be sooner.

Can I use a huge peace of fine 800 grit sand paper on a perfectly flat surface and sand the valve cover base flat? Might it help to level out the imperfections from the base for a better seal. I won't be abel to do that on the cylinder head until a rebuild.

I be getting the silicon valve cover from real gaskets and the rest are OEM.

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                    Sorry - fat fingers.

Go for OEM parts wherever you can. Should solve your problems at the oil pressure switch and stator cover.

As for the valve cover leak, it sounds like either your head or cover could be distorted or damaged. I note you say the cover is not a good fit to the head. Are you sure it is the correct cover for your model? Photos may help here.
                    I have the correct valve cover. I just have the freaking ability to see every thing that is not perfect and some times it gets in the way. Like putting the valve cover on and it's not perfectly edge-flush all the way around. Some locations are and some are not which leads me to conclude that it's made that way. Tolerance? The location where it leaks is perfectly edge-flush.

Comment

Oil Leaks

My Suzuki service manual says not to use any kind of sealer,gaskets are designed to swell up when exposed to oil,just a thought

Comment

Just use oem gaskets , no sealers unless you like doing stuff over again
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                        X