Aftermarket Speedometer? Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket Speedometer? Anyone?

Does anybody know if my 82 gs650's speedo cable will fit into an aftermarket speedo? And if I get a wrong speedo, will it read wrong? How should I go about this? Any insight will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

IMO, it's far easier to remove the mechanical speedo drive and install an electronic unit.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by csw55 View Post
      Does anybody know if my 82 gs650's speedo cable will fit into an aftermarket speedo? And if I get a wrong speedo, will it read wrong? How should I go about this? Any insight will be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!
      Go here and check out what they have.http://www.speedhut.com/gauges/GPS-S...|1:3|38:1|37:2

I'm looking to convert mine over at some time and these look very promising.
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
        IMO, it's far easier to remove the mechanical speedo drive and install an electronic unit.

Mark
        What needs to be done to accomplish this conversion?

Comment

easy to replace. make sure you get a speedo with a ratio of 2240:60 so it reads correctly.

you also need to make sure it takes your squared speedo cable end.

this is the one i purchased, works great.

there are others online if you search "2240:60 speedometer."

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
            easy to replace. make sure you get a speedo with a ratio of 2240:60 so it reads correctly.

Awesome! Love how this one has indicators as well! Nice price.

Comment

Originally posted by williampkerr View Post
              What needs to be done to accomplish this conversion?
              The electronic ones have you mount a magnet on the rotor carrier or wheel and a sensor on the fork leg. They work the same as bicycle speedos, counting revolutions with a measured wheel circumference.

Since growler posted a link showing some that will work with your drive, that is even easier. I never expected to find any mechanical drive aftermarket speedos anymore.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

GPS speedo there are no cables, no ratios nothing, just a 12v supply. Can't get much simplier then that. They supply you with a GPS antenna.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

That kit is set-up specifically to work on old air cooled bikes like ours, and that's per one of Trailtech's own advisers. It's the kit I will be getting as soon as I get some disposable income again.

Comment

According to the wiring diagram, the yellow & yellow/black wires go to your winker. Let me know how that works out. Also may pick this one up.

Comment

Thanks for all the input! Are all GS bikes a 2240:60 ratio? I see you (Growler) have a GS850, just wondering if since your bike has a bigger engine, 60mph could be achieved at a lower rpm? I mean, if it's accurate for you, it'd have to at least be in the same ball park for my bike. I'll try to do some more digging!

Comment

That ratio is correct for most if not all Japanese bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Morrison View Post
                          According to the wiring diagram, the yellow & yellow/black wires go to your winker. Let me know how that works out. Also may pick this one up.
                          I wired exactly as the instructions stated. No issues.

Comment

I wired exactly as the instructions stated. No issues.
                            So, no problems with your winker, then?

I gotta say, DCC's sales pitch is beyond compare:

"In a world of "man" envy saturated with fat tires and big engines which supposedly directly correlate to well, you know.. Be the bigger man and roll with one of these 2.5" mini speedos. You ain't got no shame and no reason to act like you do. You're a mans man. A big man. A real man...

You ride a teeth shattering hand built Cafe Racer or a hard-tailed hunkered down Bobber and that, speaks volumes. Chances are if your piloting one of these jockey rockets down the road you've got balls of steel the size of Texas. Covered with a generous portion of black powder coat and only available at Dime City along with anti-vibe construction these little suckers keep your speed and, women in line just begging to be wrung out. And, at just 2-1/8" tall you can fit it just about anywhere"
                            Current:
                            Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                            VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                            And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

I may have to check these out. Been looking at replacing my whole cluster area with a more updated look anyways. Is this a direct bolt on from Dimecity as in no mods needed and cable lines right up? any pics on your rides?

Comment

Working...
                              X