No announcement yet.

Should I do it myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone starts off knowing nothing. If you get frustrated, give it a day or two, then come back and post here and we'll help!

In addition to BassCliff's guide, I have a guide of my own regarding valve clearances. Between the two, it should be easy as cake!

Advice: Don't skip the tools. Get the proper ones. When I first started, I was like "oh, I have a few toolboxes of tools from my dad and grandpop, I don't need anything." I was wrong :-P

Comment

Just an update, valve gasket and cam plugs are supposed to be here today.
      I have my feeler gauges and I called the Suzuki place and they said they had valve shims. I'm off tomorrow so hopefully I can get this done
      Also, I have a oil pan and gasket is it as simple as taking the old one off (once oil is drained of course) and the new one on?

Comment

Originally posted by Zack View Post
        Also, I have a oil pan and gasket is it as simple as taking the old one off (once oil is drained of course) and the new one on?
        Yep. Pay attention to the old gasket material (make sure it's all off else you will have leaks). You can remove the oil pickup screen and clean it if you want too, but it might be difficult to get the screws out.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
          hardest part is getting the old gasket off.
          A good reason NOT to put it on dry, which many advocate.
          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Could I suggest you beg, borrow or steal a 6" vernier calipers or a 1" od micrometer because....... the thickness of the existing shims may not be legible, even if it is they may have worn or someone could have ground them down because they couldn't be bothered getting new ones.
            When you finish up keep a record of what thickness is on what valve for the next time.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Working...
            X