clutch springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch springs

I'm getting some noise from my clutch. its working fine so i figure it must be worn springs. Is there a preferred brand?

worn springs cause no noise.

Comment

Stay clear of racing type-

Comment

More likely the "take up" springs in the back of the assembly. The only way to fix it is split the clutch hub (grind off the rivet heads) - pack out the springs with some washers to take up the slack & then have it welded back together.
        This is a very common fault.

Ape do a kit & looks like this when finished

Here's mine just after welding (stock back plate and packed out springs not an aftermarket reinforced one like Ape)

Saw this in Classic Bike (Uk Mag). It was on a lower power bike than my 1000 so not sure threads & bolts are strong enough for our bikes... You could be the guinea pig though!!

The symptom of the other springs going weak is a slipping clutch not noise. Replace with new stock ones or get some aftermarket & use half of them (otherwise the clutch pull is really stiff).
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Ok that sounds like a project i can handle. before i do i just want to verify the noise. Motor running i hear a rap or nocking type noise. if i take the oil cap off it gets louder. if i put the bike in gear and release the clutch just enough to put pressure on things the noise stops. does this sound like the springs or something else? Also the bike is a 1982 gs1100g.

Comment

It could be as simple as the clutch hub nut coming loose. Take a look in there.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

the mystery is solved...1100G it is!
              could be the starter clutch bolts backing out.
              yes i know what you said but...you never know

Comment

Working...
              X