Noise From Tach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise From Tach

I have a pretty loud grinding noise coming out of my tach above 2500 rpm. Wanted to run this past people before I start to look for another dash unit. The spedo has not been working either and I have all new cables. I suppose it is possible that I have bad cables but for both to go out I don't know.

Try lubing the tach, shoot some spray grease between the part that spins with the cable and the threaded part it spins in. That's where the noise is coming from.

You may have to take it off and turn it over to get the grease in the right place.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I put grease into the cable slot, and shot some silicone lube up there as well and the noise is barely better. Am I going to have to take the thing apart, or will that even be an option?

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
        Thanks for the suggestion. I put grease into the cable slot, and shot some silicone lube up there as well and the noise is barely better. Am I going to have to take the thing apart, or will that even be an option?
        It's do-able. The bezel securing the glass can be prised off and resealed but you'll probably find the input spindle was the culprit all along. Shooting grease up there may not have got up the full length so take it off, turn it upside down and try some light machine oil and or penetrating spray and leave it for a bit. Not too much or you'll end up gumming up the clockwork bits inside.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I have started looking for a whole new pod. Since I am already having speedo problems I may have to bite the bullet. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Working...
          X