Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter clutch miracle

Even though this is not a Suzuki issue, others my find it useful:

I recently purchased a 1979 Kawasaki 400 with 867 orig miles. Getting it started was very difficult due to fouled carbs. After much cranking the starter clutch began to slip. This became a real problem, slipping about 4 out of 5 tries. I was resigned to pulling the clutch apart, but I remembered the PO told me he has used "synthetic" oil. I thought it was worth changing the oil first, even though I knew I'd have to drain it again to do the starter clutch. Well, after replacing the synthetic with Rotella 15-40, the starter clutch began IMMEDIATELY working perfectly. This may be the cure for others' starting issues; it sure is worth trying!

Good information. I wonder if it's a sign that the starter clutch is about to go out completely and you should replace it nonetheless.

Comment

It's a miracle! Man up and vanished like a fart in the wind!

Another reason not to use synthetic?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Triam View Post
        Good information. I wonder if it's a sign that the starter clutch is about to go out completely and you should replace it nonetheless.
        This, I would suspect to be true.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I'll let everyone know if and when it acts up again. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
          X