1983 gs450l dies when idling after warm up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs450l dies when idling after warm up

I have cleaned the carbs, adjusted the valve clearances, changed the oil and filter, changed spark plugs and wires and changed the rectifier. The bike starts up fine and rides fine it just dies when idling but only after it has warmed up for awhile. It starts right back up after it dies. I adjusted the idle as high as possible without the revs staying high when you give it gas. I have been chasing this problem for months any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ignition parts can fail when there is a high heat condition. It is very plausible this is what you are experiencing and when it shuts down that gives the internal windings an opportunity to cool. I would lean toward a common part like the ignitor vs a coil

Comment

I think you might have an airleak problem between carbs and engine- this would give you a problem setting the idle on warm engine as excessive air would cause erratic behavior. Did you replace the o-rings at carb boot/head interface? Do your boots seem OK.?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I replaced the boots when I cleaned the carbs.

Comment

I also checked for air leaks with some propane.

Comment

Working...
          X