Fork seal top side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork seal top side

I see a couple videos on you tube on changing fork seals, and the spring in the seals is installed facing up. And on some bikes facing down? Which is correct on my GS850? I put some in an 1100 with the spring down and there are no leaks. I've never known seals of this type to ever have the spring facing out. Which way?

Have you checked basscliff's tutorial?

I'm 99% certain that all OEM GS fork seals get installed with the spring down. At least, that's how I remember doing mine and they don't leak.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by eil View Post
      Have you checked basscliff's tutorial?

I'm 99% certain that all OEM GS fork seals get installed with the spring down. At least, that's how I remember doing mine and they don't leak.
      I just picked up OEM fork seals for my 81 750. They actually have springs on the top and bottom for some reason.

Comment

Replaced seals on my GS1000 spring went in downwards.
        if you look at seal it will have a 'wipe' section which goes to the top.
        1981 GS1000g

Comment

Well, I copied the way the old ones came out. Old ones had the tighter spring (less visible) facing down. Numbers were facing up. They held up okay for pitted tubes and now I have cleaned-up tubes w/new OEM seals. I think the "wipe" on mine is facing down and I'm sure the identifying numbers are facing up. The numbers facing up seemed logical. Oh well. No leaks yet. if this is wrong and leaks are imminent then I'd like to hear this now so I can get my screaming out of the way.
          Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

Springs normally go on the side were the oil is.

Comment

Originally posted by RGM View Post
              Springs normally go on the side were the oil is.
              Yep, and the numbers are normally up. Don't know of an exception to the latter rule.
              '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Thanks for the info. I can relax now. And Rich, thanks for the springs and exceptional service. The bike corners on rails now.
                Erik

1982 GS550M

Dyna S, Dyna greens, coil relay mod w/LED, Sonic Springs (.90)

Comment

I just replaced the seals on my 78 GS1000 with OEM seals. The new and old seals have an open lip with a spring on one side and are solid rubber on the other. The ones that I removed (leaking and crusted) had the spring facing up, so I installed them the same way. I checked the manual and there is no mention or indication of direction.
                  So, did I install the seals upside down? If yes , am I going to get leakage or premature failure?
                  Thanks

Comment

Sounds like you did up them in the wrong way round. If so, they'll start leaking pretty quickly - I've put these right a good many times for guys who tried a bit of DIY.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

So it seems that at some point the seals were replaced incorrectly. Just goes to show you that you can't assume anything is correct or properly done by all the PO. Now it's miller time and time to redo the seals....oh joy.
                      Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X