Speedo Drive Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Drive Unit

I am in the middle of doing salty_monk's twin pot brake upgrade and thought I should maybe be doing some maintenance on the speedo drive unit while I had everything apart. The service manual says "grease it before installing" and nothing more. Can I just soak it in some varsol to clean out the gunk or are there some plastic pieces inside that will be damaged? Do I need to pop off the snap ring on the inside and disassemble it as well?

Thanks,
    Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

There is a rubber seal, which means you can't just dunk it into arbitrary chemicals.

Apparently, you're supposed to be able to disassemble it completely, but I was never able to figure out how to get the seal out without damaging it. I settled for removing the gear that connects to the cable, adding some grease in there, and then cleaning the rest as well as I could with simple green and a toothbrush.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

IIRC, Azr on this forum posted a tutorial on how to disassemble them and rebuild them. Perhaps it can be found in the new/improved search engine?

Comment

Thanks guys. I worked on it today, cleaned out what I could with a bit of varsol and a rag then packed it with grease and reinstalled. A PO had managed to put the drive into the wheel with the drive tabs not aligned into the recesses in the wheel and then tightened the axle nut, so the drive plate was very significantly bent. I straightened it out before reassembly and everything was turning nice and smooth once I was done.

Mark
        Last edited by mmattockx; 08-10-2014, 01:32 AM.
        1982 GS1100E
        1998 ZX-6R
        2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Working...
        X