Thread repair to clutch cover GS850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread repair to clutch cover GS850

Need to do a thread repair can anyone confirm if the bolt hole shown in the picture is a blind hole, don't want to use a helicoil repair if the hole is fully open, thanks.

You're surely not planning on helicoiling it with the cover still on ?
    The odds are good that you won't install the helicoil correctly working through the cover.
    If you don't want to drain oil, just lay the bike over till the oil level is below the cover.

Comment

It sounds more like he is planning on putting in a much longer bolt and adding a nut to tighten it to me.
      Anyway, in my experience with these GS models, practically every cover bolt COULD be 5mm longer even into a blind hole.
      Measure the depth of the hole and tap it deeper with a bottoming tap. According to this parts fiche, http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/...rankcase-cover ,
      the stock bolt is 35mm long. Get a 6 X 40mm bolt to replace the stripped one AFTER you tap it.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        If you don't want to drain oil, just lay the bike over till the oil level is below the cover.
        Just so you know, you only need to put the bike on the side stand to "lay the bike over" far enough.

There might be a few drips of oil that fall out of the cover when you pull it off, so put a rag under there, but there will be no flood of oil.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
          You're surely not planning on helicoiling it with the cover still on ?
          The odds are good that you won't install the helicoil correctly working through the cover.

Whaaaaaat slight misunderstanding me thinks, my query is about the threaded hole in the case not the cover, obviously I would be removing the cover to make a repair, it's not like the lower fixing points as there open, this one goes into the casing, wanted to know if it was blind or open, if open god knows where the tang from the helicoil would go when broken off.

Comment

Simply pulling the cover will tell you immediately if it's a blind hole. Even if it's not, a piece of rag over the inner end will catch any swarf from drilling/tapping/installing helicoil. Plenty of room around the clutch to work in there.

Comment

Cover removed, the hole is blind in a way! because there is a long upper case bolt that passes through the back of the clutch cover fixing hole, the thread can clearly be seen when looking into the hole, thanks GSX1000E for the bolt length measurement, what this proved was that in the past someone had changed out the originals and put in a 30mm length bolt, cleaned up the threads and replaced it with a longer bolt, appears to have done the trick.

Comment

Working...
              X