Hydraulic front brake switch...new issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic front brake switch...new issue

I installed hydraulic brake light switches on both GS's over the last couple of years. So, far I've been happy with the results.

During a check of the E model I discovered that the lever requires a LOT of force before the brake light is triggered. In normal operation it would never trigger. I mounted this one at the splitter below the headlight as it made for a cleaner installation. Concerned that something might be plugged, I opened the bleeders (left first) and made sure fluid was getting through both calipers. This looked good.

The switch on the T-model is mounted at the master cylinder as it is a single disc setup. This one works fine. Triggers the light with a "light" touch on the lever.

I'm a crush washer short or I'd just move the switch on the E to see it it made a difference so I thought I would ask this bunch if location makes a difference. Doesn't make any sense to me that it would, but I'm surprised the switch now requires so much force to work.

Any thoughts?
    sigpic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

IIRC they are meant to be installed at the MC.

Comment

I've got mine mounted at the splitter, but also run individual brake lines from there to the calipers - no "up and over". The light turns on just fine and before braking actually begins.

Comment

Originally posted by 850GT_Rider View Post
        I've got mine mounted at the splitter, but also run individual brake lines from there to the calipers - no "up and over". The light turns on just fine and before braking actually begins.
        Yup...that's how mine is (stainless braided lines). Took a quick spin this afternoon on my local twisty road and the front brakes are just dandy. I'm thinking I need a replacement switch ...
        sigpic
        1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
        2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Yup, mine is at the MC, very light touch and the brake light comes on. Works much better then the old mechanical switch ever did.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I have experienced a few hydraulic switches on other members' bikes, did not like how the light did not come on until you were already applying braking force.

All of my GSes have stock switches that still seem to work just fine.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It should not matter where you mount the switch, when you squeeze the lever, the pressure is the same everywhere almost instantly.

Very likely the pressure switch just went bad. They are pretty cheap, doesn't surprise me that they are made cheaply.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Working...
              X