Anyone try aftermarket brake master?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try aftermarket brake master?

My brake master / lever on my 88 gs450 are looking pretty crappy - I was thinking of replacing it with

Seems to be like 1/4 of the price of everywhere else.. Anyone have experience with these ebay masters?

You might want to verify piston size before purchase. The stock master is 14mm.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've bought several and never had a quality issue. Some are sold with right or left handed threads for mirrors, and with and without brake light switch built in. Make sure you hit the right button. We waited a month for one to arrive, and only a few days for others. Patience may be necessary.

Comment

I bought this for my KZ400. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261516378497...497%26_rdc%3D1 Works great and for some some unexplained reason they sent two! Took about 3 weeks. My lever was worn out and rattling too. Has switch on it for brake light

Comment

awesome appreciate the good info guys!

Comment

Do you have a ten dollar crash helmet, too?
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I just bought a 16mm for my gs850, works great! Haven't used it enough tho to really tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Do you have a ten dollar crash helmet, too?

No, I don't wear one and save my $10

Comment

Well, on the principle that a billion Chinese can't be wrong, I suppose it makes sense.
                  I'm unaware how many Chinese wear, or choose not to wear, crash hats - not a lot from what I've seen.
                  Anyway, back to the m/c. My opinion only and you can toss it on the fire if you like. I've bought NewOldStock, recon, and used m/cs in recent years and would rather trust a Japanese made m/c that I'm going to rebuild myself with new OEM rubbers than a $14.95 m/c off ebay.
                  I have a bit of leariness about those things - you only need it to fail one time and your day is ruined.
                  Same with wheel bearings - good bearings are so cheap it's not worth buying the crappy stuff.
                  Both M/Cs and wheel bearings have one thing in common - if they fail catastrophically on a motorcycle, the rider will have a very hard time.
                  There's a lot of other things on bikes that need to be in ****-hot order, too; but some of them can be non-critical - M/Cs and bearings aren't.
                  ---- Dave
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

A master cylinder is a casting with a hole in it, into which they stick a plunger. Pretty basic stuff. I wouldn't be worried about running a Chinese one. Masters aren't the type of things that fail catastrophically anyway.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                      Well, on the principle that a billion Chinese can't be wrong, I suppose it makes sense.
                      I'm unaware how many Chinese wear, or choose not to wear, crash hats - not a lot from what I've seen.
                      Anyway, back to the m/c. My opinion only and you can toss it on the fire if you like. I've bought NewOldStock, recon, and used m/cs in recent years and would rather trust a Japanese made m/c that I'm going to rebuild myself with new OEM rubbers than a $14.95 m/c off ebay.
                      I have a bit of leariness about those things - you only need it to fail one time and your day is ruined.
                      Same with wheel bearings - good bearings are so cheap it's not worth buying the crappy stuff.
                      Both M/Cs and wheel bearings have one thing in common - if they fail catastrophically on a motorcycle, the rider will have a very hard time.
                      There's a lot of other things on bikes that need to be in ****-hot order, too; but some of them can be non-critical - M/Cs and bearings aren't.
                      Ok first off... the master cylinder is $33 and the one I bought recently was $49. Secondly, a master cylinder for my bike brand new is over $150, and my old one was way beyond repair to "trust it". Also if it "failed casastrophically" then you would just use your back brakes and downshift. Or are you one of those owners of a runaway Prius that wasn't aware they could turn off the car or put it in neutral?

Comment

The ones I have bought are working fine, much better than the original.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Really? Perhaps you'd like to have been in the two cars I was in where they did just that. In spite of both cars having dual-circuit m/c braking it wasn't worth a damn. Luckily, one failure happened on the backroads, but the other one was slowing down for a ped crossing, and since I couldn't stop, I had to indulge in an impromptu game of reverse skittles to not flatten the peds. Not fun, I can assure you.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 81GS850 View Post
                            Or are you one of those owners of a runaway Prius that wasn't aware they could turn off the car or put it in neutral?
                            No. Are you a moron?
                            ---- Dave

Comment

I try to avoid the cheap stuff also. There is a lot of stuff coming out of China that is messed up like some swing arm extension that are breaking from using a cheaper grade of billet aluminum.
                              Grimeca makes high quality brake parts that what I use when I go after market other wise I just rebuild the factory stuff.
                              My stable
                              84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                              85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                              88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                              98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                              90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                              06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                              00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Working...
                              X