Rear brake whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear brake whine

Hey all. I recently had to replace my rear tire. I took off the wheel, had the local shop put the new tire on, and then put the wheel back on the bike. After doing so I noticed a whine coming from the rear wheel, and a rough vibration felt throughout the bike as I was riding. The vibration is very light; you have to be looking out for it in order to feel it. I took the wheel back off and back on hoping that would fix the problem but no such luck. I then took the brake pads out to see if it was a brake issue but that had no effect. If any of you could lend some ideas or know what the problem is, it would be much appreciated!

The only real variable here is the new tire. Did you have it balanced?

Comment

You can hear the noise as the bike is driven away. I could hear it for 50-60 feet as he rolled down the street. Like some kind rubbing as the wheel was rotating, like catching in a spot. Like a scratchy noise more than a whine. Brakes we isolated so they are not part of the equation. Tire was balanced. I am wondering if outer hub ring is out of round somehow and rubbing on the final drive

Comment

I know it's a shaft drive but was the wheel properly aligned?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
          I know it's a shaft drive but was the wheel properly aligned?
          Did it twice but I'd say it's a possibility. Looks fine when it's on the center stand but something has got to be going on. Looks the wheel needs to come back off.

Comment

Can you duplicate the sound with the bike on the centerstand?

Might make locating it a bit easier.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

We could duplicate it and it seems to me like it is coming from the wheel-shaft connection area. Like nejeff said, it seems to be some sort of scraping sound. Although I didn't see any damage, if the hub ring somehow got bent by the shop, what long term effect would that have on the bike?

Comment

He came over today and took it apart based on my belief he was missing the spacer inside the hub (haynes manual calls it the double diameter LH spacer). Well most of the mystery is solved, it was put back together twice without the spacer and my son has no idea what would happened to it! Well I am known to have a few spare parts around so he is up and running again but still haven't found that spacer yet

Comment

Working...
                X