Tool box organisation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool box organisation

Hi all not sure if this has been covered I have just brought new tool box and got to wondering how do you guys organise it, trays, or just put wrenches in?
    picture of new box below
    Attached Files
    1981 GS1000g

Nice. Brand, cost?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      Nice. Brand, cost?
      Got it from local DIY shop, own brand I think it cost £45.00 ($74.00), last one left and was in sale.
      Not to Snap on spec but it will do for now.
      1981 GS1000g

Comment

However you want to do it really. I have some sockets in the trays I bought them in but everything else just lays in there. Put some foam pads in the drawers if you don't already have them to help prevent stuff from rolling around as easily
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

It's surprisng how few tools are used on a regular basis. I keep promising myself to organise them into the handiest drawer. If you go all librarian on it you end up having to open too many places and will end up firing them into the miscellaenous drawer anyway. If the space is unheated spray the lot with something to keep the moisture of condensation away and ensure the front is higher than the back or drawers will open by themselves.
          97 R1100R
          Previous
          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I used the thin carpet like stuff from the spare tire well cover on a old car and cut to fit for the lining of drawers.
            Rubbed metal with motor oil and then laid it in.

I have various holders for sockets and wrenches but have also made separators for things.
            Just measured out the size of each drawer and cut out a piece of cardboard to place on top of carpet like stuff, put the tools on cardboard surface as I wanted them arraigned.
            Took some thick cardboard boxes and cut out some long strips with the desired height.
            Laid in the strips around the tools and attached to each other with gorilla tape.
            When I had it as wanted I taped over all the cardboard.
            Simple and cheap.

I also bought a few of the small flat tackle box type things to sort various 1/4 sockets and fastener bits.

I have a few sets of sockets and wrenches.
            I like the holders you can buy for them as it makes it easy to grab multiple sizes and have them easily in reach when you are down low working on something.

It is real handy to have a small flat surface next to your toolbox for placing tools when done as you then load the surface and then put away without having to make multiple trips.
            Also if some one in the family uses a tool for something they know to put it on that surface and you put it away knowing it is going where it belongs.

I keep various sockets in my toolbox but also have two sets in cases.
            I keep one set on the right of any project and one set on the left.
            The cases are great for keeping organized and yet you can keep all of them near you.

I would like to make some magnetic holders hung over my workbench so I can place tools often used for whatever I have working on the bench at a given time.
            It will keep them out of the way but within easy reach as needed.
            Have not gotten there yet!

My farther bought me a nice heavy duty canvas/ripstop nylon with hard bottom tool bag many years ago.
            A big one.
            Nothing fancy and with only a few pockets.
            Great investment for when a friend needs some help with something or lugging your tools back and forth from work.
            Grab what you need out of the box and fill the bag.
            Road trip!
            If you buy something like that make sure it is quality as you never know where and how far you may have to lug it.
            Mine has seen abuse you would never imagine.

I am pretty organized.
            That is not to say I have not been looking for my hex keys going on a month now

Comment

I keep one set on the right of any project and one set on the left
              now, that is brilliant! I drive myself nuts not doing this. I have a kit that is just the tools that get used on the bike a lot- ie:just the 10,12,14,17 mm sockets and wrenches for instance. And two hex keys and certain other tools that always get used but now I want to duplicate it! I don't mind going and getting less-used tools from their places, but it drives me insane to see the tool I need lying on the other side of the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Gooner View Post
                Hi all not sure if this has been covered I have just brought new tool box and got to wondering how do you guys organise it, trays, or just put wrenches in?
                picture of new box below
                I would say it depends on your level of OCD. I use wrench racks and socket holders like these:

They don't cost much overall and let me find a size with a glance. For working on the bike it is handy to have a rolling tray/shelf like this:

It lets you load the tools you need immediately and keep them at hand. There are lots of variations on this around, you should be able to find whatever suits you and your garage with little trouble.

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

It's a tool box, just throw everything in there and be done with it!! Don't need no stinking organization!
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I use socket holders and wrench racks similar to mmattockx, but only for my metric sockets and wrenches. The SAE stuff is dumped in the bottom drawer and used mostly for ballast.

Jim
                    1981 GS550T (Long gone)
                    1983 GS650G (Rolling rebuild is now a full rebuild.)

Comment

pegboard walls. lots of pegboard.

Comment

Working...
                      X