Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Please

Hi guys

I need some troubleshooting advice please.

I am experiencing a stutter especially when setting off. It almost feels like when your bike lets you know it is time to switch to reserve. This disappears after a while (almost as if it is better when the engine has warmed up properly and after the throttle has been properly tested. When the bike has stood for an hour or two it is back, but in a lesser degree.

It also seems as if the bike battles to maintain at a constant throttle, when cold it is terrible and at running temp it give a little nudge every now and then. It almost feels like you have to constantly accelerate to maintain smooth engine performance.

Can anyone point me in a direction where I can start looking for the problem?
    1982 GS1000G

Originally posted by Exponent View Post
    Hi guys

I need some troubleshooting advice please.

I am experiencing a stutter especially when setting off. It almost feels like when your bike lets you know it is time to switch to reserve. This disappears after a while (almost as if it is better when the engine has warmed up properly and after the throttle has been properly tested. When the bike has stood for an hour or two it is back, but in a lesser degree.

It also seems as if the bike battles to maintain at a constant throttle, when cold it is terrible and at running temp it give a little nudge every now and then. It almost feels like you have to constantly accelerate to maintain smooth engine performance.

Can anyone point me in a direction where I can start looking for the problem?
    What is the maintenance history on the bike.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I think it would have to be carbs and/or boots.

The experts will chime in soon with recommended fixes.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
        What is the maintenance history on the bike.
        Hi Mr Bill

I bought the bike about two months ago from a guy who had already left for a job overseas, so the info on my bike is sketchy at best. Apparently is was standing a while, but runs great otherwise except for the stutter.

I have done an oil and filter change about 400 km ago.
        1982 GS1000G

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          I think it would have to be carbs and/or boots.

The experts will chime in soon with recommended fixes.
          Hi Rob

My git tells me carbs, but my mechanical experience is zero

Here is a pic of the carbs from the air filter cavity - can you pick up anything?
          Carb LH 4 Close up.jpg
          1982 GS1000G

Comment

Other than being a little wet and oily looking, not much to see there.

It's really the inanrds needing addressed, as it sounds like you have a small block in the idle/low throttle opening circuit. This is supported by the fact that it gets a bit better at more open throttle settings.

A full strip and dip, with a valve adjustment will probably be the resounding advice.
            '83 GS650G
            '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
              Other than being a little wet and oily looking, not much to see there.

It's really the inanrds needing addressed, as it sounds like you have a small block in the idle/low throttle opening circuit. This is supported by the fact that it gets a bit better at more open throttle settings.

A full strip and dip, with a valve adjustment will probably be the resounding advice.
              Thanks Big D, I was dreading and looking forward to that advice.

Guess I better start getting the carb kit together and source some shims
              1982 GS1000G

Comment

Guess I better start getting the carb kit together and source some shims
                Don't bother sourcing any shims until you know what you have and what you need.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Mr Bill

I bought the bike about two months ago from a guy who had already left for a job overseas, so the info on my bike is sketchy at best. Apparently is was standing a while, but runs great otherwise except for the stutter.

I have done an oil and filter change about 400 km ago.
                  Okay, you need to start here and read. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...K-HERE!!/page9 Go to the bottom of page 9 and start there.
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
                    Go to the bottom of page 9 and start there.
                    How can he go to the bottom of page 9 when there are only three pages?

Oh, yeah, you still have your options set to the forum default.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

No need to buy any KITS. get the intake manifold orings and one CV oring kit from Robert Barr at cycleorings.com. 1 kit does all the carbs and fuel tees.

Intake manifold orings are on page 3 of his website. Measure the id of the old ones and get the appropriate size

DO NOT EVER grip the float seats with pliers to get them out OR apply heat to loosen the orings seal. There is a screen inside the seats and heat will melt the plastic that holds them in place. Squeezing the seats will make the holes out of round and the needles will jam up and not work. Use a fine knife to gently get the seats pried out. Be patient and work them out by prying between the brass shoulders and the carb body itself.

Lastly..go here and get familiar with the CV rebuild tutorial. Get new rubber plugs for on the pilot jet holes and new bowl gaskets too. A can of Berrymans from Walmart, a can or two of carbs spray and get to rebuilding the carbs. Check the valve adjustments and use a new cover gasket. Do these things and youll be amazed at the life the bike has left in it.

Carb rebuild is on the right side and look for a manual from the list

Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-26-2014, 09:28 PM.
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Walmart's in SA?

Flyboy can let you know what type of chemicals you can get in SA

Is it me, or does the carb boot in his pic look like it's melted?
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Yamaha carb dip....whatever.........pot of boiling water and Tasmanian Devil pizzzzz...just get them cleaned out.
                          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hi Rob

My git tells me carbs, but my mechanical experience is zero

Here is a pic of the carbs from the air filter cavity - can you pick up anything?
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]36600[/ATTACH]
                            Before getting involved in a full carb strip it's always worth trying the ' lite' option. If it is dirt it may not be fixed - yet and draining the bowls a few times, running fuel through on prime and a few taps with a rubber mallet or hardwood stick will dislodge dirt.
                            97 R1100R
                            Previous
                            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

But if theres "dirt" getting to the carbs you need to go upstream to the tank and fuel lines. Tank may need cleaned, derusted, and a tank liner to prevent future heart ache. Fuel lines do degrade and the rubber sluffs off and make things get gunked up.

I would suggest that the ENTIRE system be gone over AND the carbs dipped and new orings. That way all possibilities have been addressed and dealt with.

"lite options" are like putting band aids on shotgun wounds...

Comment

Working...
                              X