Air Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Filter

Hi there, I had a look at my air filter. It is bone dry. Do I need to oil it lightly? I remember reading it somewhere

Here are some pic of what it looks like
    Air Filter 4.jpg
    1982 GS1000G

Clean it first then add it and a little motor oil in baggie- squeeze it till it appears lightly saturated.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I have two 850's and I have found that I need to keep the filters well oiled and well sealed in the airbox otherwise I run too lean. The bikes run great with oiled filter and lean and unhappy with no oil.

Comment

Really stupid question.... How often do the air filters need to be oiled ?

Comment

Personally, I would oil at start of summer and maybe mid summer...but my particular configuration tends to run a bit lean and this helps significantly. So minimum every spring...and maybe two or three times through the summer. But depends on how much you drive and also if you have an issue with being too lean as it helps richen your mix

Comment

BTW...when I rebuilt my first GS, I did a ton of work on it and I was at wits end because I just couldnt get it running right...I had seen posts on the importance of oiling the air filter and making sure the box was well sealed but I just didnt believe it was that important. In the end I remember sitting in my living room thinking that before I tore it all down again I was going to go out and oil it. So I did. I soaked it, squeezed it out, but I left it pretty heavy with oil...I remember driving it down the road and thinking "wow, it is running nice"...so I got on the highway ramp...and up to that I had only ridin my bike a couple miles at a time because I hated had it ran...it was lean and surged and idled high...so I got on the ramp and hammered it...redline in second, redline in third and I remember yelling into my helmet "hell yeah!".

So that's my story...oil it up and be amazed.

Comment

Working...
            X