• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! won't idle w/right plug removed

1986 gs450l
    adjusted valves @ 2000 miles ago
    carbs cleaned about the same time
    - I'm investigating weak compression from the left side. symptoms include smoke from left pipe, not a lot, & only at idle. when I raise the idle & remove the left plug cap, she will stay running just fine. with the right plug cap removed, she won't idle no matter how much gas I give. both plugs appear good, a slight brown. the left side does have spark. while riding it seems strong, and at high rpm both cylinders are working well. recently I've been fiddling with the carb mixture screws and now it seems like no matter where they sit I've got a slow return to idle. it won't really return to idle until I've come to a stop.

so there's something amiss on the left side & I don't know where to start. thanks in advance for any advice. I ride this bike every day.

- Brett in seattle

Your right side cylinder ain't doing it's fair share! Since you got spark, suspect carb problem- the idle circuit probably did not get fully cleaned and can't keep motor running all by its lonesome.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Have you actually done a compression check ? what are the results?
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

that does make sense. and when I cleaned the carbs, it was my first time & I wasn't as thorough as I should've been, i.e. didn't measure float height.

so the carbs come off tonight!

thx for your response!

Comment

after cleaning the carbs I think she's back online

I get so nervous when I think about wrenching on this bike - I worry that I can't do it or ill **** something up but after I do it I feel like a master technician & enjoy this bike so much more. it rained earlier (it is seattle) & the roads are still wet but I gotta ride

...vroom, boys

Comment

Working...
          X