No announcement yet.

mustering the confidence to do my valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took a bunch of videos, half were crap and the other half I strung together for this.

Comment

Haha, Level 1 for sure!

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
      Congratualtions
      You have now been promoted to Advanced Tinkering Level 1

Comment

Well, I failed at making a video of me using the shim tool. However I did take a couple photos, hopefully ones that show where the tool sits once it's in position.

Also a pic of my valve cover cleaned up, and everything buttoned up with new bolts.

Comment

Looks good! I have the allen head valve cover bolts on my 850 as well. I'll probably swap them for standard stainless-steel hex-head bolts eventually because I discovered I can't get a torque wrench on them. Not enough vertical clearance. Or maybe I don't have the right kind of allen sockets, I dunno.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Replying to this because I am close to tearing mine down for rings, valve lap, and shims. (Need to get that pesky paint off first, it's pretty rough)

Comment

Originally posted by Motojoe2492 View Post
              Replying to this because I am close to tearing mine down for rings, valve lap, and shims. (Need to get that pesky paint off first, it's pretty rough)
              "Replying" is one thing, but did you have a specific question?

At the very least, record your clearances BEFORE you take the engine apart. When you get the cams out, it will be easier to pull the shims and record their sizes. Then you will have a better idea of your starting point when you are ready to put things back together.

If you haven't done so already, take advantage of the offer in my sig for the spreadsheet.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                "Replying" is one thing, but did you have a specific question?

At the very least, record your clearances BEFORE you take the engine apart. When you get the cams out, it will be easier to pull the shims and record their sizes. Then you will have a better idea of your starting point when you are ready to put things back together.

If you haven't done so already, take advantage of the offer in my sig for the spreadsheet.

No questions just yet.
                I am stripping what paint I can from the block before I even take a single bolt out so I have one less potential for contamination. I do plan on taking measurements before disassembly, but since I will be lapping the valves it will be more for the learning experience.

I also love having this vast amount of resources and knowledgeable people such as you at my fingertips! So far I have built enough confidence about doing the valves, but the rings are my next study project. Luckily I know a guy with a bead blaster (for the head paint) and ring file, so I really shouldn't worry lol.

I will post on here the second my blood pressure rises I am a big fan of spread sheets too, I have studied it and will take full advantage of it's existence

Comment

I am a big fan of spread sheets too, I have studied it and will take full advantage of it's existence
                  How can you study what you have not seen?

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

How can you study what you have not seen?

I'm assuming the shim size spread sheet is what you were referring to?

Comment

I'm assuming the shim size spread sheet is what you were referring to?
                      Well, the one I was referring to was the spreadsheet that I offer to help you calculate what shims you need.

Have you seen another one?

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

I am stripping what paint I can from the block ......
                        Dont know the entire situation, but just a comment here, to say that on an 83, the engine being black is stock.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                          Dont know the entire situation, but just a comment here, to say that on an 83, the engine being black is stock.
                          Yeah, I will be giving it a fresh coat. Mine had been caked with grease for a long time, and some spots have corroded and chipped the paint. I might polish the valve cover, but currently I need to hurry my ass up so we'll see what actually gets done :P

Well, the one I was referring to was the spreadsheet that I offer to help you calculate what shims you need.

Have you seen another one?

I have seen one, can't remember if it was in my service manual or online though.

Comment

There is a chart in the manual(s) that will tell you everything you need to know. My Excel spreadsheet simply does the math for you and offers suggestions what shim you might need. It is also a reference tool, as it maintains a history of what your clearances were last time you checked your valves. It also tracks what you have in your bike now, based on what you have entered from previous records. Based on that, you can also judge whether you can safely extend the service interval. This spreadsheet is NOT online. There are others, but mine is not.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

There is a chart in the manual(s) that will tell you everything you need to know. My Excel spreadsheet simply does the math for you and offers suggestions what shim you might need. It is also a reference tool, as it maintains a history of what your clearances were last time you checked your valves. It also tracks what you have in your bike now, based on what you have entered from previous records. Based on that, you can also judge whether you can safely extend the service interval. This spreadsheet is NOT online. There are others, but mine is not.

Nice! I will hit you up for that once I'm closer to shimming. I will be honest though, Steve, I procrastinated just a bit too long this winter and plan on moving soon. When taxes get back we'll be moving (probably at least by march first) and I don't want my bike apart by then. I haven't even torn down my carbs or taken my top end apart and I am freaking out a bit. Confidence in the ordeal wasn't really abundant to begin with but as the deadline comes closer I feel my blood pressure climb by the day. My biggest worry is being able to afford the parts I need to finish it up! I haven't been as proactive on this project as I imagined when I tore the engine out... This seems possible, right??

EDIT:: Sorry to jack the thread!
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-05-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

If it is your only motorcycle, especially if it's your first, enthusiasm can definitely decline over time, as you work, work, work, and never get to ride.

That is one reason we advocate getting the bike running (safely) before doing any modifications. I note that in your signature you have your bike "stock (for now)".
                                Get it running first, then do any modifications you want. By the way, what mods are you planning?

sigpic
                                Family Portrait
                                Siblings and Spouses
                                Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                                X