Advice on Winterizing--GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on Winterizing--GS850G

I'm doing some winterizing on my 1980 GS850G, and I have this question: After draining the carb float bowls, is it better to leave the drain screws completely out of the bowls?

Depends on your definition of "better".

From a purely winterizing standpoint, it makes no difference. The trace amounts of gas left in the carb after being drained will evaporate quickly, drain screws or no.

The only advantage I can see to leaving them out (or leaving them unscrewed) is that if you still have gas in the tank and the petcock fails while sitting, the gas gets emptied onto the outside of the engine instead of the inside.

Just remember to put them back in come spring or you'll have a mess on your hands!
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Along those lines (pardon the pun) I would disconnect the fuel line going from the tank to the carbs at the petcock and put a line on the petcock nipple with a plug in it. You may want to disconnect and plug the vacuum line as well. Fill the tank full with gas and add Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer. The plugs for the petcock are to keep gas from pouring out if the petcock fails. The reason to fill the tank is to keep moisture from creating rust. The reason for the Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer is self evident.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I don't drain anything. I fill up with premium fuel plus stabilizer, leaving no room for moisture to rust anything. Stabilizer is a no brainer. Then a few times when the temps aren't terrible. I start up and warm up, running thru the gears on the center stand. If possible I'll take it down the road a short piece to keep things from getting sticky, clutch, throttle, brakes & such. I will also run the carbs empty, or close to it, and then turn the gas back on, which forces the floats to cycle down and back up. On a chain bike I lube it when parked with oil. I don't like carbs sitting empty.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
          I don't drain anything. I fill up with premium fuel plus stabilizer, leaving no room for moisture to rust anything. Stabilizer is a no brainer. Then a few times when the temps aren't terrible. I start up and warm up, running thru the gears on the center stand. If possible I'll take it down the road a short piece to keep things from getting sticky, clutch, throttle, brakes & such. I will also run the carbs empty, or close to it, and then turn the gas back on, which forces the floats to cycle down and back up. On a chain bike I lube it when parked with oil. I don't like carbs sitting empty.
          Doing this fills the mufflers with condensation. You are better off not starting the bike if you don't plan on running it long enough to dry out the pipes.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What part of warm up don't you understand? That involves running it long enough to do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by wymple View Post
              What part of warm up don't you understand? That involves running it long enough to do the job.
              What part of "warm up COMPLETELY" do you not understand?

You can not warm up the parts enough to 'burn off' condensation while the bike is on the centerstand.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Pure bull****.

Comment

What Steve said....
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

i think if you are running it long enough fast enough to get it hot enough on the stand, you best have a fan blowing on it, even when it's cold out. takes like 20-30 minutes on the road to get it fully up to temp. at idle-ish, i dunno, 45 minutes?
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I just dose the fuel with stabil, go for nice long final ride to make sure carbs get stabil. I don't drain carbs, any fuel will slowly evaporate. I pull tank and store in a location where temps don't fluctuate much (basement). 5 months later bike wakes up nice and happy. As mentioned, no need to run bike periodically- bike doesn't know/care if it's been sleeping a week or 5 months.
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If you feel like you have to run the bike do this instead, pull the spark plugs and put the bike in high gear and rotate the engine by grasping the rear tire and turning it a few rotations. This will help with the rings and valve springs. Oh by the way, if you store for a bit, might want to oil fog the cylinders to keep the rings from possible sticking.
                        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                          i think if you are running it long enough fast enough to get it hot enough on the stand, you best have a fan blowing on it, even when it's cold out. takes like 20-30 minutes on the road to get it fully up to temp. at idle-ish, i dunno, 45 minutes?
                          In less than 10 minutes you wouldn't lay your hands on ANY motorcycle cans I've ever owned. And that's a lot of bikes.

Comment

I don't think it's necessary to start and run the bike over the winter. I would though if it were being stored for a longer period than 3 months. Otherwise, I pour enough Sta-Bil for a full tank, take the bike out for its last ride, then gas up and return the few miles home. That way gas with Sta-Bil is in the float bowls. I think it's wiser and easier to keep the bowls full of gas rather than to drain them, provided you have Sta-Bil in them already. I clean and lube the chain while it's still warm, then after the bike cools down I change the oil and filter, start it up to circulate the new oil, lube the clutch cable and its end, put on the smart charger, air up the tires, give it a coat of wax, and wait till spring (sigh). It could be a while.

Comment

Why store it... Just ride it. It was close to 20 degrees today and I still rode mine to work. Last year it was 6 degrees and I was aabbllee to to gettt to workkk.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                              1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                              1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Working...
                              X