79' GS 1000 restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79' GS 1000 restoration

Hello fella's, just a few questions for you subject matter experts. I am reserecting a rough GS1000. It sat outside since 1978! It is suprisingly not to bad once I started taking her apart. My question relates to the engine. Is Ther any chance the crank is still good. The engine is seized, and scabby but all there. I have her mostly stripped, engine will come out soon, I suspect I need to source another engine. I also have 3 gas tanks all of which are rusted through!!! So a new tank, crank, and 2 thousand other parts and I'm there! I will post some pix jimbo

Welcome to the GSR.
    If it was outside that long I imagine you will need to inspect everything closely.

1978 GS1000C
    1979 GS1000E
    1980 GS1000E
    2004 Roadstar

Comment

It's a shame that people neglect and abuse good machinery. You won't know about the crank until you disassemble the motor, of course. You might be surprised that things are okay--if there was oil in it.

Comment

I have engine bits off a 78 1000E that will be the same if you need parts....
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I have a stock rear sections, tail light, turn signals, grab handle, seat and good shape exhaust from a 80 gs1000e if your looking for parts

Comment

I hate, hate, hate dealing with motorcycles that have been left outside! Wow- 35 years! Where do you live, what climate? Makes my head spin just thinking about all of the things that'll need to be replaced, replated, refinished, and rebuilt. You have more patience than me...

Comment

Working...
            X