Machine shop in SW Ohio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine shop in SW Ohio?

Any recommendations for a machine shop? I have an exhaust header bolt that (after 2 valiant efforts) I think will need some professional tooling/help to remove. Also, if you have any experience with cost, and any other things worth having the shop do I would like to hear it.

There's a race shop in Dayton, Ohio called S&K Racing. Don't know if he does that kind of work but you could look him up.

Comment

S&K is one guy, and he still remembers his way around our bikes. He cut the valve seats and ground the valves on my 1000G. I had to take it back to have the stems trimmed, because there was no shim thin enough to fit anymore. He also cut the seats much wider than spec. I think he made a decision for me to increase the service interval rather than optimize it for factory fresh flow. Or maybe he didn't bother to look it up. Or some combination of the two. Either way, it ran a lot better when I put it back together. If he's willing to do this job, I don't doubt he can get it done. Listen carefully when he tells you how to find his shop. He's nearing retirement, so he's downsized to a one-man operation and not long hours.

I originally wanted the famous crank builder, head porter, and general drag engine builder John Pearson (Germantown) to do that head work, but he was too buried in his crank-building season to work on another head for me. Pearson is the one who pointed me to S&K. It seems crazy that there wouldn't be a good shop in the Cincinnati area. I really haven't looked, since I was pointed to Pearson for my 850's head work, and he took such good care of me (did it over a weekend so I could get to my first WV rally).

You might ask R&M in Mason if they're willing to try it. They're a car shop, but they've always been square with me, so I want to point business at them.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Thanks - I will check with R&M. I need a local mechanic for my Frontier anyway so this could work out well

Comment

Herbs machine shop in Deer Park. He's done work for me in the past and done me good. He knows what he is doing, and charges a fair price. Cycle Specialties in Fairfield did me well with parts and advice, not sure how good their service department is, though..

Comment

Working...
          X