Ever bought the right part...but it didn't fit? '83 GS550es

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever bought the right part...but it didn't fit? '83 GS550es

Yup...that's what happened to me with the '83 550es.

Bought an SGP air filter, but for the life of me I cannot cram it between the guides inside the airbox.

I compared it to the K&N filter I pulled out, and the SGP filter is 5mm wider across it's entire length. The K&N has a "softer" frame, and is noticeably curved, so it looks like a PO bent the K&N to fit. I'm not sure, but it looks like the lower, molded rail inside the airbox is angled upwards.

Anyone with an 83-85 550es care to comment?
    '83 GS650G
    '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Parts Shark Microfilche for OEM Parts ought to get it done for you.

GS55E Air Filter.jpg
    Last edited by Guest; 11-18-2014, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Joe. but I believe I mentioned it IS the correct, OEM part. I don't understand what you are trying to point out on the fiche.

The 550 has some "peculiar" trappings you don't see on some of the other bikes, and the rails in which the filter sits are not shown on the fiche.

Can you clarify what you'd like me to notice from the parts diagram?
      '83 GS650G

Comment

Parts have been known to be mislabeled at times. I've run across this a couple times myself, not often but it does happen.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Back when I owned a 550ES (1985 unit), I learned that the bike didn't run for pooh with anything but the Suzuki OEM filter (stock jetting). Aftermarket brands like EMGO or UNI didn't cut it, but with the OEM filter (from a dealership, in a Suzuki SGP box) worked. Since you have what is labeled as an OEM part but it doesn't work, I'd suggest that either the wrong filter got put in the box somehow, or that Suzuki has changed vendors for the OEM part and it doesn't work.

One other thing I just thought of after looking at the parts fiche. Are you sure the sides of the filter go inside the rails, and that the rails don't fit on the inside of the element? I really can't remember exactly the setup in there, I got rid of my 550ES years ago, but I do remember something kind of funky about how it fit inside the airbox.

Just a thought, I have no idea if it's right or not.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            Since you have what is labeled as an OEM part but it doesn't work, I'd suggest that either the wrong filter got put in the box somehow, or that Suzuki has changed vendors for the OEM part and it doesn't work.
            I thought the same thing, but the number stamped into the filter matches the part number on the fiche, and the box sent. I also thought that perhaps the newer models (post 83s) might have changed a little bit, but to retool for that little of a change seems illogical to me.

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
            One other thing I just thought of after looking at the parts fiche. Are you sure the sides of the filter go inside the rails, and that the rails don't fit on the inside of the element? I really can't remember exactly the setup in there, I got rid of my 550ES years ago, but I do remember something kind of funky about how it fit inside the airbox.

Just a thought, I have no idea if it's right or not.
            I thought the same thing when I was first looking at the new filter, but I can't wrap my head around it as the rails are too wide to fit inside the foam seal, but not quite wide enough for the filter to sit between them.

It's a bit of a quandary for sure.
            '83 GS650G

Comment

We occasionally get problems like this with more than one model - the OEM part number s/b 13740-43400

- Make sure your bike is the year you think it is. If you are relying on the date on the steering head, Suzuki (and most other manufacturers) start the next year model production in the July to September timeframe.
              - The year a bike is first registered can be several years behind the build year.
              - Parts can get swapped out.
              - On some models the acetate fiche will have notes details in year part number changes - this info doesn't make it to the online fiche. I could not find any for the GS550ES though.
              - Bad batches of parts do exist. We don't see this often, but we've has a variety of bad parts from the OEM's over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
                We occasionally get problems like this with more than one model - the OEM part number s/b 13740-43400

- Make sure your bike is the year you think it is. If you are relying on the date on the steering head, Suzuki (and most other manufacturers) start the next year model production in the July to September timeframe.
                - The year a bike is first registered can be several years behind the build year.
                - Parts can get swapped out.
                - On some models the acetate fiche will have notes details in year part number changes - this info doesn't make it to the online fiche. I could not find any for the GS550ES though.
                - Bad batches of parts do exist. We don't see this often, but we've has a variety of bad parts from the OEM's over the years.
                That's a good guide for determining parts mismatch, Jeff. Thanks for taking a moment to check your acetate. The problem is not with the outer cap (13740-43400) but with where the filter (13840-43400) foam mates to the airbox plenum.

I'm all good with what I have for the bike. Definitely an '83, definitely the "correct" part. The part itself is fine from a manufacturing perspective. No odd angles or bulges, the outer frame dimension matches that of the K&N replacement, is the same as the inner frame, and is square. Could be that it wasn't built to spec, but if that is the case, I'm sure others out there will have run into the same problem. 5mm is quite a large error in my books.

To my eye, it does look like the rail inside the airbox is oriented slightly upward. I'm going to try using a heat gun to soften it a little in order to bend it down, and if that doesn't work, a hammer solution on the filter frame might be next
                '83 GS650G

Comment

for what it is worth, sometimes the fische is wrong....happened to me with the brake master cylinder on my 83 1100 es.
                  1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

I hate threads that have no resolution so here's one that is resolved (sort of)

I was going to take some pictures this evening of the inside of the airbox to further explain the problem, but the battery for my camera was dead. After some new motivation from JEEPRUSTY, I got my hands dirty, sprayed the airbox with a little silicone, and finally managed to finangle/manhandle the filter into place.

It does seem like the rails inside the airbox were a little out of place, but by angling the top of the filter towards the back of the motorcycle, and pushing down as hard as space would allow, I managed to pop the filter cage between the two rails, and now it seems like I have a good seal between the foam of the filter, and the plastic of the airbox.

I should add that prior to popping the filter in I gently massaged the bottom rail of the airbox with no pre-heating of the plastic, and was able to open up the angle slightly. I suspect the plastic will return to it's previous position with time. I pity the fool that has to do this next.
                    Last edited by BigD_83; 05-26-2015, 10:50 PM.
                    '83 GS650G

Comment

20 000 kms form now or is the interval 30?
                      Godd for you and your persistence.

Comment

Working...
                      X