Matching odometer on newly acquired gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matching odometer on newly acquired gauge

Is it possible to change the odometer on these bikes without breaking anything? I found out my instrument cluster is totally smashed. If I get a new gauge with a lot more miles, I am wondering if I could change it.

Thanks,
    Joe
    '82 GS1100g

The plastic housing was broken on my speedo from the wreck three years ago.

I got a replacement that had more miles on it, but was able to open the housing on both units and swap the guts.

Now, I have the proper mileage showing from within a good housing.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah that is basically what I'd like to do. I don't actually need to change a dial, just swap the guts. It doesn't seem easy as I can't get the gauge I have to fit back inside the diameter of the plastic.

One thing though is that my trip odometer handle is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Garfield View Post
        Is it possible to change the odometer on these bikes without breaking anything? I found out my instrument cluster is totally smashed. If I get a new gauge with a lot more miles, I am wondering if I could change it.

Thanks,
        Joe
        '82 GS1100g
        I found on my replacement odometer if you are really careful you can rotate the numbers to where you want them. My replacement had less mileage on it then the stock and I wanted it to have the same numbers.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

How do you get them open?

Comment

Working...
          X