Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I repair or replace the TRIP ODOMETER??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I repair or replace the TRIP ODOMETER??

Guys, I have a gorgeous 81 GS850G and its near perfect except one flaw...the TRIP ODOMETER sometimes drags the one hundred mile digit forward...so instead of reading 75 miles, it might read 275 miles... Is it possible to access the guts to fix this?

Or is it possible to buy another speedo and remove the Trip Mechanical Unit and swap it into my existing speedo? The regular odometer works fine...its just the trip odo that doesnt work right.

If so, please provide some instructions?

Please help... Thanks!

Gary

Also...on my other bike, my 1982 850GL, I have some condensation inside the lens cover and I would like to remove the lens and clean it. Is this possible? if so, how??

Comment

Sure, open it up and have fun. If no luck, just get a used speedo off eBay- they surface all the time . Here's a pic of innards
      Attached Files
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Also make sure that when you reset it, it goes all the way back to zero. I had a 650L that would do something similar if I reset the trip odometer but left the 'tenths' dial anywhere between 0 and 1.

Comment

Note that you MUST turn the numbers to the next highest only. Theres a tiny plastic dog that catches in the notches to advance the dial. To turn against the dogs will snap them.

Use the search feature and type in OPENING GAUGES and a ton of thread will pop up.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Appreciate the comments. But can anyone tell me if the trip odometer can be moved from one speedo to the other ? Is it replaceable ?

Comment

Once you get the gauges open, removal looks pretty straight-forward. Here is a pic. I am struggling a little with posting pics so please excuse the size/format. The trip odometer is a separate unit; the dials are mounted on a shaft with a gear on it. The shaft is held in by a black clip at either end so you should be able to pull off the clips and pull the whole trip odometer out. You could probably then take it apart and fix it - it does not look very complicated.

I haven't done this, I just happen to have a smashed speedometer that I am trying to find replacement parts for.

Last edited by Guest; 12-13-2014, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X