First gear fully engaged before clutch is released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First gear fully engaged before clutch is released

I have a situation. I've got this '81 850G that is running but not road worthy. I've never even ridden this bike. I've had it in my basement since I got it running. Now I'm moving homes and need to get this bike on the trailer. Problem is my house sits on a fairly decent decline from front yard to back yard. We've got muddy conditions currently where I live and I'm concerned that if I pull the trailer down the the back basement door and rolling the bike out to it that I'll get stuck. I have four wheel drive but I'm still concerned that I'll get the trailer down there and won't be able to get out, plus I could do some serious damage to the yard because of all the mud. So I thought that I'd ride the bike out. When I put the bike on the center stand to test the clutch this is what happened. Pull the clutch in, put her in first, immediately the rear wheel starts turning even before I let the clutch out.

clutch plates stuck together? How long has it stood?
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Sounds like might be normal clutch drag. Try putting the rear brake on while running and in first.

Comment

If it's as bad as you say, I'm betting that it's going to be a real bugger to get that heavy a$$ bike up that muddy hill.

Ya, sounds like the clutch plates are just stuck together. My 1000G did the same. You can try to break the plates loose by applying the brake with the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in. If it wont come unstuck using the brake, then you can take the clutch cover apart and remove/clean and lube the plates back up. Should fix it. Pretty common problem really,

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

First ride in the mud with 550 lbs of bike! No thanks - get a tow rope (and a driver ) and pull the bike up the incline with the 4wd. Then regrade the lawn.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
            clutch plates stuck together? How long has it stood?
            Its been nonoperational for many years. Probably 10 or more.

Comment

Well, I decided to use the trailer and thankfully didn't get stuck. Before I did this I tried first gear with the rear brake engaged but the bike stalled. Guess I'll have to clean the clutch plates. Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Before you go gung-ho, taking things apart, make sure your clutch cable is properly adjusted to allow full release.

It is somewhat 'normal' for there to be some drag in the system, especially with cold oil.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good to hear that you have the bike out. Like Steve suggested check the cable and make sure that you have a good pull. If that doesn't work then try riding the bike with the clutch pulled in and see if it releases on it own. If it doesn't then do as suggested and disassemble/clean the clutch pack. Make sure that all the plates are within distortion spec. My guess is that they're just dry and stuck together. Once you get some oil circulating and some heat in there the clutch will just release on its own.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                    Good to hear that you have the bike out. Like Steve suggested check the cable and make sure that you have a good pull. If that doesn't work then try riding the bike with the clutch pulled in and see if it releases on it own. If it doesn't then do as suggested and disassemble/clean the clutch pack. Make sure that all the plates are within distortion spec. My guess is that they're just dry and stuck together. Once you get some oil circulating and some heat in there the clutch will just release on its own.
                    +1.. ride it w/ clutch pulled in in 2nd gear .. blip throttle...
                    easy peasy. then RIDE IT

Comment

Fire that bad boy up, and do a good burnout, it will fix that...

Comment

Originally posted by zuzu View Post
                        Sounds like might be normal clutch drag. Try putting the rear brake on while running and in first.
                        +1.........
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

You can try strapping the clutch lever down and then carefully prise the plates apart with a long screwdriver through the oil filler.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Normal clutch drag would not stall the engine with the clutch pulled in.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
                              Normal clutch drag would not stall the engine with the clutch pulled in.
                              Errr... yes it would, and can bend a crank too, if you're careless. Damhikijdok.
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X