introduction and side stand woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

introduction and side stand woes

I bought my first bike last February. An absolutely beautiful (to my eye) 1979 GS550.

The first thing I did when I got home was jump on the internet to research what I'd gotten myself into. I found these forums and ever since I've been learning about what ails my new girl. By the way, let me say a huge "thank you" to everyone here who takes the time to write and share your knowledge and experience with us newbies.

After a few months of TLC, I've finally been able to use it as my daily commuter since last October.

This morning I found my bike leaning against the wall. It seems whatever the side stand is bolted to under the frame just gave out. I can stand the bike up on the center stand, pull out the side stand and easily bend it out way father than I should with minimal effort. And then just as easily, bend it back into place. I can feel the metal bending.

To be honest, I didn't look under there to see exactly what's bending, and I'm going to be away from home for a few days, but I'm wondering. Has anybody here had similar side stand woes? Should I be worried?

II forgot to mention that the metal under the frame where the side stand is bolted to is so pliable that it won't support the weight of the bike anymore making the side stand useless. This makes getting off the motorcycle pretty never racking.

Comment

Hi, if it is anything like my 650, then there should be 2 bolts going through the kick stand and into a welded bracket on the frame. That bracket has 2 welded nuts on the backside of it. The bolts may have become loose and allowed the 2 pieces of metal to vibrate and wear against one another. 1 bolt may even be missing allowing the stand to swivel around the other bolt instead of pivoting down when you go to use the stand. Put the bike on the center stand and have a look. Should be easy enough to see where the problem is.
      1981 GS 1000GLX.
      1981 GS 1000G.
      1981 GS 650GLX.
      1975 TS 185.
      1972 100. Kawasaki.
      1968 100. Suzuki.
      1970 Z 50. Honda.
      1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
      1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Take a picture, you may have deeper problems if the welded bracket is rusted through. I'm hoping, for your sake, that it's just the bolts. If it's the bracket, welding is in your future.

Post up the pic and let us know how it comes out.

Comment

Thanks for your quick replies.

Well, it looks like it definitely needs welding.
          side_stand.jpg
          Itīs a little hard to tell from this picture, but the metal has cracked in 2 places (where the arrows are pointing) and the stand is only hanging on by the piece of metal in the middle.

Comment

Yep, looks like the weld is busted. Should take much to get it back into place as long as the frame tube isn't rusted through as well. Even then it's just a little metal fabrication.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
            1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
            1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

I just can't believe the level of foresight you had to park the bike in just the right way for the wall to catch it, should the kickstand give out

Pretty cheesy looking metal on that bracket. Do you have the tools and space to work on it yourself? Must be someone in your neck of the woods with a MIG setup. Heck, a good stick guy could do that for you, too.
              '83 GS650G
              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

You should be able fit nuts behind there if the welded ones have come off... I suspect one bolt dropped out & you are swivelling it on the remaining one
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                  You should be able fit nuts behind there if the welded ones have come off... I suspect one bolt dropped out & you are swivelling it on the remaining one
                  Check out the picture he posted. When you look at it you see that it's obviously the welds that are busted. Looks like the through bolt is in good shape.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
                  1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
                  1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by BigD_83 View Post
                    I just can't believe the level of foresight you had to park the bike in just the right way for the wall to catch it, should the kickstand give out
                    Foresight... riiiiiiiiight, thatīs what it was . It was going into the shop anyway. Iīll just get 2 birds with one trip, so to speak.

Comment

Working...
                    X