140mph speedo confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140mph speedo confusion

I pulled the dash on my 1980 1100ex to replace the speed bulb because it wasnt lit up and found the bulb was good.

I knew this bike was supposed to have an 85mph speedo and was equipped with a 140 but I assumed it was replaced with a later year.

after looking at it, it seems a different 140 face was glued in place as I can see glue residue on the cutout. And then perhaps somebody changed a gear somewhere to correct the speed?

I tried to search for other 140mph speedos but they were a different design on the face, this face does not allow light to pass and doesn't match the tach.

was this a common practice? I am confused at exactly what I have got here but having it not lit will surely be frustrating. Maybe the light can't pass because it is two layers?

Anyways I've attathed a picture and would like to know if someone could tell me what I be got here.. it doesn't apear to be a suzi part

Thanks

this was a common service years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
      this was a common service years ago...
      Is that so?

They change the gear, the faceplate and you've got a 140 speedo?

Where is the gear that's changed, down at the front wheel? I wonder how their accuracy compares with stock (which I know is usually optimistic).

I'm still glad I sprang for the genuine article.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I have wondered about taking out the pin and adding extra numbers on my 82 gs1100e speedo. It would be easy to mark the correct speed spots if I had three hands and a gps on.
        82 gs1100e FAUX Skunk
        80 gs1000s

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Is that so?

They change the gear, the faceplate and you've got a 140 speedo?

Where is the gear that's changed, down at the front wheel? I wonder how their accuracy compares with stock (which I know is usually optimistic).

I'm still glad I sprang for the genuine article.
          i have no clue....i never did them but i worked on 80-82's with the modded MPH readings.
          back before the internet...yeah time did exist when paper publications was the shlt...you would open up a magazine and buy parts and services like the ones in this thread.

Comment

There was a company out of CA in the 80s that converted the 85 speedos to 140 speedos. They would recalibrate the speedo and stick on the new numbers. They advertised in the magazines of the day. Seriously doubt they are still in busy.
            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
            X