530 chain spacer, front sprocket torque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

530 chain spacer, front sprocket torque

1981 GS1100E 530 chain conversion from Z1 only one spacer. I know this has been beat to death, with 6mm spacer on outside of front sprocket there is still 4 or 5mm of spline left.....front and rear sprocket alignment look good. I assume just go to hardware store and buy required washers. Also what do I torque the front sprocket nut to.
    No listing for that in my manual. Thanks a bunch

Uh...I believe on both of my 750's the spacer went on the inside to compensate for the unused cushion. All you should need on the outside is a locking washer and the nut. Sorry, I don't recall the torque numbers.
    sigpic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
    2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Put your compressor to about 90-100 and bobs your uncle.
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
        Uh...I believe on both of my 750's the spacer went on the inside to compensate for the unused cushion. All you should need on the outside is a locking washer and the nut. Sorry, I don't recall the torque numbers.
        The conversion requires the 6mm space on the outside of the sprocket.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Im confused now, some say on outside some say on inside. Anyway the stock sprocket is cushioned on both sides with the three screws holding the inner plates to sprocket. The rear does not change. You would think I need the spacer on the inside to retain same alignment. Spacer on outside all it will do is take up some spline space. Am I wrong here.

Comment

I'll have to go check now that I'm thinking about it but I thought mine went on the inside as well, but I'll check. (78' 1000)
            Rob
            1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
            Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I checked using half of a fishing pole as a straight edge...its straight. With no space on inside there is a gap. With spacer on inside of sprocket it seems to be in good alignment, so I think I will go with that. Interesting to see what azr sees.

Comment

The cushion on the factory 630 front sprocket is such that the inner cushion plate has a larger hole than outer plate. Inner cushion does not act as a spacer in any way. I have converted both of my 1100E's (owned since they were new) to a 530 set up. Sunstar sprockets f /r. The 6mm spacer goes outboard. Then the locking tab, then the nut. Re the exposed spline you mention..... Look at the nut....... concave on sprocket side. Manual states 65 to 72 lb. / ft. torque.

Comment

Got it Grand, thanks all. Constantly learning something new every time work on this bike.

Comment

Originally posted by alhntr View Post
                    Got it Grand, thanks all. Constantly learning something new every time work on this bike.
                    You are welcome. Your GS is a beauty. My first GS was black, 1100. 1981.

Comment

Working...
                    X