Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave, I just sent you a PM.

Comment

Now I think some of you are starting to see my confusion and why I think the Australian version of seat maybe different than the US version. As Joe said there are pics of different seats on the web for 1983 gs850s and the parts fiche shows what I am calling the Australian version. Also the cover they sent has a hole in the back of the cover built in for the seat key and mine is built into the rear fender. I have gone round and round with Pit Replica and at one point they offered to refund me on this cover and make me one if I sent them my original. That would be more than fair. But everytime I ask for an address to send it to they just reply that they can find no record of my purchase. I originally purchased it by copying and pasting a link they sent me. Part of the problem I think is I did it on ebay as a guest. The other weird thing is I have already received a refund and still have the cover. So pretty soon I am just going to give up on Pit Replica and buy some good Gorilla Tape. I just really hate to give up on this as they receive good reviews from other members but I have found them hard to deal with.
      83 gs850
      07 vtx1300c

Comment

Unfortunately if you were to try Saddlemen seat covers, you would get one that looks like the 'Australian' version (although that pattern is the same as many 850's, 1000's, and 1100's that were sold in the US).

Sargent would do a custom replacement cover for not a whole lot more than the Pit Replica cover, but you would lose some of the stock look.

Another option could be to modify the foam to match the shape of the other 850's that use the 'Australian' cover, although I think the Pit Replica one you have would not work.

Here is a link to a thread I started when I began looking for seat cover options - in this thread is a photo of another member's Pit Replica seat cover installed, the link to the actual 850/1100 cover for all the ones that came with the 'Australian' pattern:

Comment

At this point, since you got your money back maybe you could try the Pit Replica seat and see if it will hold you over while you get a new seat cover. Use a different email address and get Pit Replica to make you a new one for free

Sargent might do a more custom look and match your exact pattern, it would be worth a phone call or email.

Can you share the link you used when you bought the Pit Replica? I might be able to use it if the only difference is the key hole (if it's actually cut for the 850g).

I guess my feeling is the Pit Replica seat might fit your seat just fine, and look like the 'other' 1983 stock GS850. If you look closely at Griffin's seat, you can see where the foam curves up to the 'lip' between rider/passenger, and it looks like it dips back down again. Also if you look at the line formed by the edge of the foam (under left thigh area), the shape of the foam looks very conducive to the seat pattern you had originally. The key hole shouldn't matter since it will get covered up by the rear faring.

Last edited by Guest; 04-03-2015, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X