Honda comstars on a 78 GS750?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda comstars on a 78 GS750?

I'm not a fan of spoke wheels at all, but I would really like to a 130 rear tire on a 18" wheel. I was wondering if some old comstar mags off a 77-78 supersport CB750 would bolt right up or not.

Why not use an 1100/early 1150 wheel? Granted, it's a 17, but fitment would be easier.
    Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 04-11-2015, 11:49 PM.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

You can put a 130 on most of the GS rear wheels.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I I'll just run a 77-79 GS1000 rear wheel. It's a 17" that's 2.5" wide and matches the front wheel. The comstar set up may be a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

If you end up needing such a wheel, I am just getting around to removing the 3" rear on my 1150 to swap on a 3.5. You can have the 3" wheel for shipping costs. I don't need it.
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to pass. I don't think my stock caliper and rotor will work with it. Plus it won't match the front wheel either.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
              I'm not a fan of spoke wheels at all, but I would really like to a 130 rear tire on a 18" wheel. I was wondering if some old comstar mags off a 77-78 supersport CB750 would bolt right up or not.

comstars were horrid wheels prone to buckling on rough roads go with a suzuki wheel

Comment

And they're ugly as hell too.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Comstars did not come on the SOHC Cb750's I.e 69 to 78. They came on the double overhead cam Bikes and those started in 79. The Hondamatic rims are much nicer looking. Comstars are crap
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2015, 07:50 PM.

Comment

ugly honda wheels belong on ugly hondas

Comment

Honda also put them on the 77-78 sohc supersport cb750's. I built a 72 cb750 with 77-78 comstars. It rode fine and I think they look a ton better than spokes.

Comment

That 1150 rear is super bro deal. You can pick up a matching front for cheap and it will bolt on. There are threads around here on how to adapt the 1150 wheel onto your bike. A 3" rear supports the tire much better than a 2.5.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Axle spacers and brakes will be a challenge. Plus I've bought sonic springs and race tech cartridge emulators for my '78 front end.

Comment

No worries. It will hang around until one of our brothers or sisters here needs it, and off it will go.
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

Working...
                            X