Weird ? Idea for leaky Sprocket Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird ? Idea for leaky Sprocket Seal

I began dissasembling my new ? 1150, Oil leaks from sprocket seal I mthinking, checked the gear switch oring smalll nicks i nit will also replace it. Now the new seal I bought is a nice tight fit o nthe shaft spacer (the shiny thing that rides o nthe output shaft behind the sprocket) I was thinking if I made a new shaft spacer .010 diameter larger to fit in the old seal tightly might fix it for a while (since it is riding season now) I do NOT think the 1150 GS sprocket seal will come out without entire engine dissasembly. Just wanted a opinion on this idea? Thanx Mike

No harm no foul if it doesnt work. Its just some fabrication time lost is how I see it. And if theres a groove worn in the spacer that may well be the problem too..so fabbing a new one isnt such a bad idea.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

That very concept was one trademark of Chicago Rawhide (CR Industries), which used to be the world's largest oil seal manufacturer (when I worked there). SKF now. They made a sleeve called a Speedi-Sleeve that fit over the worn shaft, giving a new wear surface. This was matched with an oil seal of slightly larger ID to accommodate the larger OD of the sleeved shaft.

As for pulling that original output seal, I'd seek a solid opinion on how tough that job is.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Well I had bought a new seal looked mighty old so did the Sleeve thing machined from stainless steel .010 larger diameter greased it up and it went in nice and tight. Im also going to replace the oring on gear indicator and look at the shift shaft seal, It was losing oil from the sprocket side, guess the old GS s are aging starting to drip , Seems the oring chain has tight spots alo thought of soaking int i nacetone and automatic tranny fluid mix but ,,???Orings may not like the acetone? Read this is a great penetrating oil. ? Thanx Guys Mike (PS Glad I dont have to take another gs apart, enough 1100 s but that clip in front of the sprocket seal sucked!! Mike

Comment

You can buy sleeves to cure wear for front seal issues for a small block Chevy, so the idea is OK.

Comment

Working...
          X