Speedo drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo drive

My speedo drive makes a click click noise as it turns. I don't think it is normal. I've tried to take it apart to inspect it, but I couldn't get it open. The c-clip came off fine, but nothing would pull out. Any tips or tricks?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

If you look around the output shaft, you will see a nylon retention device that has a couple of slots in it. Since the shaft comes up the middle of it, you will need some small needle-nose pliers or snap-ring pliers to turn that out. Once it is out, you can pull the shaft out. After the shaft is out, you should be able to open the rest of the drive. If I remember correctly, there is the drive tang, which is held in by the clip, a spacer, a plate that covers everything and a gear. Look at a parts fiche, you should see all the parts.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve! I thought you might know how to do it.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
      1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
        Thanks Steve! I thought you might know how to do it.
        Yup, comes apart fairly easy once you get into it. I have 3 of those and they all have a slight click to them. All have been cleaned and regreased as well.
        sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
        1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
        2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
        X