Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000E, oil sightglass in clutch cover replacement

Folks,

Bought a new oil sightglass from Z1 Enterprises and it looks identical to the old one - I carefully punched the old one out with a socket, and when I went to install the new one, I noticed that it seems very loose in the clutch cover hole - I can push it in/out with my finger.

Are the sightglasses glued/epoxied into place? Any info would be appreciated.
    Cogito ergo sum - "I think, therefore I am"
    René Descartes

should be a very tight press fit, i wouldn't trust it if its that sloppy. you can easily imagine what would happen if it popped out on a ride!
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Just curious as to why you had to replace it?

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
      1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
      1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Originally posted by JTGS850GL View Post
        Just curious as to why you had to replace it?
        The other one was very cloudy and it was difficult to see through it...
        René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          should be a very tight press fit, i wouldn't trust it if its that sloppy. you can easily imagine what would happen if it popped out on a ride!
          That's what I thought - also, that's why I don't understand whats going on...
          René Descartes

Comment

I replaced mine with one from a kawasaki GPZ305. exactly the same size and fits in tight. only difference is that it doesn't have the metal "spider" behind it so it is easier to see, and easier to clean
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

So, I called Z1 and spoke to Mike - he measured the OD on the Suzuki sightglass in comparison to the one for the Kawasaki that they also sell. The OD's are apparently the same. As I was speaking with him, I could hear him yelling to someone else in the background, and according to that other person, who has done a couple of these sightglasses, they pop in quite easily. So, now I'm wondering if I should just use an adhesive sealant and forget about it...
              René Descartes

Comment

Mine was definitely a tight fit, had to use a bit of force to get it in. No sealer used and it doesn't leak a drop.
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

I just cleaned mine with a Q-tip.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHGSRay View Post
                    I just cleaned mine with a Q-tip.
                    Mine was beyond cleaning - the plastic itself was discolored. So, now I'm wondering if the Kawasaki sightglass might work better.
                    René Descartes

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
                      I replaced mine with one from a kawasaki GPZ305. exactly the same size and fits in tight. only difference is that it doesn't have the metal "spider" behind it so it is easier to see, and easier to clean
                      You wouldn't happen to know the part number of your Kawasaki sightglass - or perhaps the year of the GPZ350 you used?
                      René Descartes

Comment

I replaced one on an 1100gl a few yrs ago and as I remember it was tight but I also used some type of bond or adhesive.
                        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                        1983 GS 1100 G
                        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

part number is 52005-1009
                          1978 GS1085.

Comment

I am having my clutch cover re-finished and they tell me I must remove the sight glass and the clutch shaft.
                            How are these two item removed? 79GS 1000

Comment

Pry the seal out of the clutch shaft and it lifts out the top of the cover. Push the sight glass out from the outside into the inside of the cover. Been a while and i dont remember if the basket thing has to come off he sight glass first or not. Guess one could grip the shaft with vice grips to tap the shaft and seal out of the cover using the shaft to drift the seal out also.

Shop online for OEM Crankcase Rh Cover parts that fit your 1979 Suzuki GS1000EC, search all our OEM Parts or call at 386-740-2452
                              Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-01-2015, 06:08 PM.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X