Trip Odometer often will not reset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip Odometer often will not reset

Like the title says, a lot of the time when I hit the button after fueling up the miles don't zero out. Sometimes if I push it a bunch it will, sometimes it just won't. Is this something I can get at and fix? Am I just stuck with it that way? The cluster is off an 83 1100E

Mine does the same thing. Also have '83 cluster on '82 11e.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'm interested if anyone has a fix for this too as mine does the same thing. Sounds like it's an 82-83 gauges thing.
      No signature

Comment

Its a cluster $%$#

Comment

I suppose I should feel glad I'm not alone? I'd rather fix it, though!

Comment

so its some little bit inside stripped form years of use
            Hard to fix considering all the old ones you might buy are likely on the way out if not worn out too
            Cant you just learn to count?

Comment

There is a reset mechanism at the bottom of the speedo. The push button pushes on a lever that disengages the trip odometer and allows it to reset under spring action. Your is probably gummed up and needs some cleaning. They come apart pretty easily once you get the back of the gauge pod off.

Take the opportunity to swap out the idiot lights for LED while at it.

Comment

Popslayer for the win! I'll give it a shot. jeeprustyfor the lose! I can't not won't not count!! This is MURICA!!

Comment

I had to learn to count the knob fell off mine

Comment

I'm a counter too. On the 850, it seams like the the "5" is deformed or melted? The trip odometer will roll around to the 5 then just click... no further. I do have a fuel gauge and a reserve, so not a big problem.
                    My Motorcycles:
                    22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                    22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                    79 1000e (all original)
                    82 850g (all original)
                    80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Mine wouldn't reset when I gassed up today, so I tried again once I was under way. BINGO!
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                      X