Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850 Hard Start/Won't Run

Hi Guys,

I have been lurking here for a while and just want to thank everybody that has anything to do with this site. The information I have picked up here has been invaluable.

I bought an 1982 GS850 in late 2013 that would not run without the choke on. I finally got a chance to work on it this year and rebuilt the carbs using the guide that Ed Ness made (Thank you Ed, that helped a lot!). Anyways, while rebuilding the carbs I found 2 of the pilot jets plugged completely and one partially plugged. I followed Ed's instructions and put the carbs back on the bike. I also took the advice on Bike Cliff's GS850 site (Thanks for the info Bike Cliff!) and replaced the air intake boot o-rings, inspected the boots on both sides of the carbs for cracks or air leaks (the boots are in surprising good condition), made sure the air box was sealed properly (I did end up installing new weather stripping on both ends of the air box), cleaned and re-oiled the air filter, adjusted the valves, replaced the spark plugs and installed a new petcock as the old one was leaking in the "ON" position and changed all the fluids. I also had to replace the battery.

I turned the petcock to prime, turned the choke on and it fired right up, no problems. I synced the carbs, and tried to adjust the idle mixture screws by the "highest rpm method". I didn't have much luck with this so I left them at 2-1/2 turns. The bike responded well when the throttle was blipped 1/3 throttle so I was going to leave to at 2-1/2 turns and try it. I ran the bike probably 10 or so times with the tank off like this over a couple weeks and each time it fired up no problem and ran well.

The other night I put the tank on it and was going to take it for a quick ride. I could not start it. It was getting late so I put it back in the garage and left it. Last night I looked at it and noticed I forgot to put the spring around the fuel line where it make the bend to the petcock so the fuel line was kinked. I saw this and figured, well this is easy its not getting any fuel, so I fixed the fuel line and tried again. The bike started but ran rough and instead of going to 3000 rpm like it did before with the choke on, it was only at 1000 rpm. I also had to give it fuel to keep it running. As soon as I release the throttle it dies. I tried again with the petcock in the prime postion, same thing happened. Battery voltage was around 12.58V when I was trying to get this to start. I thought maybe the petcock stopped flowing for some reason, so I took the fuel line off and flowed into a gerry can with no problems, so it looks like the tank is supplying fuel. I took the carbs off and all the fuel bowls were full. I took the bottoms of the carbs and checked the pilot jets and main jets and everything is still squeaky clean as I expected. I still had the old plugs so I unplugged each plug wire and checked spark at each cylinder and it looks like it is getting spark. I don't know why, but I blew into the vent of the carb to see if fuel would come out of the fuel line and it did, but it also soaked my air filter with fuel so I will have to clean and re-oil the filter before I try again. The battery is getting run down now anyway so I have to charge it before I try again. I haven't pulled any of the plugs yet so I guess I will do that and see if they are fowled for some reason.

Any body have any ideas? I am at loss as to where to go next. Like I said it ran beautifully until the other day. Sorry for the novel but I figured the more info the better. Thanks to any suggestions anyone may have.

Pat

Hi Pat,

It sounds like you're doing everything right, so this is a puzzler for sure.

Your description of the symptoms sounds like maybe it's running too rich, but that's just a guess. Once you get the air filter cleaned and oiled, I would do these things:

- Take off the carbs and give them another look. Make sure the floats are set right and that they aren't hanging up. (Aftermarket float bowl gaskets can cause this.)
    - Check to make sure your oil doesn't smell like gas. If it does, replace the petcock with a brand new one.
    - Charge your battery.
    - If symptoms persist, pull the plugs and see if they're wet.

And while this won't cause your problems, you definitely want to adjust your valve clearances sooner than later, if you haven't already.

Welcome!
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Double check sparkplugwiring .Left coil fires 1 and 4- easy to mess up. Got fuel in bowls, spark at about right time, this thing should fire up.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Check and make sure that your petcock is not connected to a vent line, I have seen it done.

V
        Gustov
        80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
        81 GS 1000 G
        79 GS 850 G
        81 GS 850 L
        83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
        80 GS 550 L
        86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
        2002 Honda 919
        2004 Ural Gear up

Comment