1150 Fork Removal Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1150 Fork Removal Tips?

I had bought a stock 1984 1150 and am repairing the issues it has. I replaced the chain sprockets with 530 stuff, two new tires changed them alls good, Now the fork seals are done. I began removing the assemblies BUT the tubes just dont want to come of the upper air fork clamp assemblies, sprayed WD 40 on top to let it creep in top the old rubber seals but ...so far no go. Any tips? I was thinking the top triple clamp may have to come of also but i was hoping to get out riding soon with out too much delay. Thanx Mike

You may as well pop the top triple off. then you can slide the air rings off of the forks.
    there is a round profile snap ring on the forks under the air rings to keep them aligned with the holes in the forks, the snap rings won't slide through the bottom triple.
    a pick will take them out of their grooves and they slide off the top.
    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Hat Derwood Thanx!! I wasn't aware of that snap ring under the air rings, I never forced or beat it Glad I didnt get the 11 pound Hammer out ha ha anyhow that sure helps, My other bikes have the old 1100 forks on them. Thanx a Lot mike

Comment

Mike, I hope you dont mind me piggybacking on your thread, but I just tonight found that a fork seal is leaking.
        Can the forks be disassembled while still on the bike? My garage has some heavy beams above that can be used to support the front while its being worked on if need be.
        ......or is the whole premise silliness?
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanx Guys for the Help and Tips. I have never done a 1150 and those air rings suck ha ha very snug indeed, The application of WD 40 really helped with them coming of. Thanx again. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
            Can the forks be disassembled while still on the bike?
            Have you done that yet ? I believe they can.....

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Well they are out off and changed, i found the soaking with wd 40 on all the rubbers helpwed and my fat friend pushing a bit also Helped ha ha. They hadnt been touched since 1984 so the rubber stuff was quite tight, Anyhow new suzuki seals, The spacer washers on top of the seals were rather rough looking so I made a new set on my Lathe, Thanx all for the Tips and Help!!! Mike

Comment

Working...
              X