Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much oil should be in the stator housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tie the handlebars to the ceiling, then it can't tip over.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thats your perogative Steve and I wasnt trying to bash you at all...just the lack of the pros and cons to such things folks dole out advice on around here.

I try to warn what has happened when I tried something and that gives another perspecive to the process. Now had I loosened the screws on the center stand AND THEN put it on the board...well maybe it wouldnt have dumped over.

But in the end ( to me anyway ) the few ounces of oil thats gonna come out are just an . Its not like youve got a quart of oil running all over the place and youve got some kind of major mess going on.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Pretty sure this wasn't what you meant when you told me to stick it on a bit of 4x2! And I'm making a frame for it to sit on tomorrow ...........
        Attached Files

Comment

No more centre stand dilemma!
          Attached Files

Comment

How will you be holding the bike level while trying to bend down and check the oil sight glass??? Whats your plan for that???
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I don't think I've explained this well enough. I bought the bike only firing on two cylinders and someone had attempted to 'chop' the bike and clearly gave up after a very short while..........

I simply wanted to buy a bike I could save from the scrappy and learn in the process as I tore it down and rebuilt it. In the process of doing this I noticed oil dripping from the stator housing. I thought the stator housing was supposed to be dry so I figured it must be the crankshaft oil seal. I opened it up (not worrying about an oil spill) and discovered the seal was fine....some research later and its obvious that the stator on this bike is supposed to be wet!! I then read comments about how there is only a supposed to be a little oil in there ( but that could have been written by someone with less knowledge than me, scary thought!) so I joined the forum and asked the question..............

I've removed the engine because it needs a good clean post 50000 miles, new gaskets, rings, sludge carbon and whatever else I find. As for the oil level the glass is still visible and although won't be perfecty accurate it shouldn't be far off?

Comment

Nuts!!! Just realised what you mean Chuck. I won't be sticking it on the side stand to check the oil!! It'll be stored with a paddock stand. I'm content that I can monitor the oil level without a centre stand.

Comment

Working...
                X