1980 GS850L Almost done, needs some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS850L Almost done, needs some help

I've been following allot of tutorials and guides from this site, and I have some pictures and questions as I finish the bike up
    Some history, odometer and title read under 9k miles, was stored well sense 2012. Bought it from a friend, all he knew was needed a ignition box and a carb cleaning. As soon as I put in a replacement ignition box, I had all ready changed all my fluids and it started with a rather high idle, but driveable. So currently I've gone threw allot of tune up steps and my battery isn't charging and seems to be my last problem. I currently have the carbs in cleaner and have noticed some strange wires here and there that are not connected or where really badly connected. I know my gas gauge hasn't been hooked up for awhile as well, not a real concern of mine. Also my next set back from testing the stator is that its wires have been soldered together, do I have have to dissconnect them for a stator test?
    Attached Files

Yes, you need to disconnect those wires. Check AC voltage across the various combination of wires while reving the engine to 5000 rpm. You should have about 75 volts AC. Assuming yes, your stator is most likely okay. Get a SH-775 R/R and wire it up. Connect the stator wires direct to the R/R, bypassing the factory wiring. Make sure you get a good ground from the R/R to the frame or battery, and then connect the power output wire into your fuse box or direct to the battery with a fuse inline.

There is tons of info about these details both on Basscliff's website and in the archives here. Check the newbie mistakes and carb rebuild tutorial links in my signature if you want to know what to look out for too.

Good luck
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Whats the difference between a SH-775 and a SH-775BA? Ive been watching eBay for one and I see allot of the 775BA's on there and the look identical. Thank you for the newbie mistakes thread, reminded me of my 1st bike a Yamaha XS1100. That's why I'm taking the process very slow with a experienced bike mechanic helping/watching me. The Stator had a good ohm resistance/short test. Before I put the carbs back in to test for the volts, I'm waiting on Intake Boot O-Rings

Comment

SH-775BA is printed on the RR. Some ebay sales simply say it's a SH-775 and skip the BA. Should be the same.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
        1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
        1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

My next issue is, I cant remove Shaft drives gear oil filler screw . Its lightly stripped but I can still get a firm grip on it with a adjustable crescent wrench. I'v already ordered a replacement screw for it

Comment

You will need to buy and use some proper sockets,wrenches and JIS screw drivers. Trying to use crescent wrenches on 30 year old bikes will not work out good, and you will ruin alot of fasteners.
            1981 GS 1000GLX.
            1981 GS 1000G.
            1981 GS 650GLX.
            1975 TS 185.
            1972 100. Kawasaki.
            1968 100. Suzuki.
            1970 Z 50. Honda.
            1984 CT 70. Honda. (Kids)
            1982 DS 50. Suzuki. (Kids)

Comment

Does the SH-775 need a apdater to fit on? it looks like a close fit, more bad screws slowing me down, thankfully my neighbor has a impact driver. Other wise replacing the stator and R/R this weekend. Thanks for all your help so far

Comment

The bolt spacing on the SH775 is about 1/4" too wide, if I recall correctly (And it's thicker, I seem to remember having to use longer bolts.)

The right way to do it is grind off one of the tack-welded nuts, elongate the hole, and then retack the old nut (or a new one) in the proper place.

Or you can cheat and cut the R/R mounting tab down the middle and then bend the tabs outward a bit to space the holes apart far enough to mount the new R/R. This is what I did. It's solid enough for my purposes but if you want to take the extra time, you can then join the tabs back together by bridging them with a small piece of sheet metal or something.
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Got the SH775 mounted, the old R/R was soldered in all over the place cable wise. I snipped and taped up the old connections. Are these random wires that were part of the old R/R going to affect anything now that there disconnected? Also Ive got the stator out, nice and black and crispy, installing the new one soon, waiting for new stator cover screws that forgot to get shipped last week. But Im running straight to battery with a 30amp inline fuse, if theres anything I need to know wiring that in please tell me, I've been looking for forums focusing on installing that but keep finding them focusing on the stator

Comment

11940628_1658461541063514_1579603716_n.jpg
                    New stator ready, is that replacement screw gonna hurt anything?

Comment

Does any one have a guide for what screws go where on the stator cover? I had to replace them all, and didn't realize they were different lengths till to late.

Comment

Originally posted by KingWombat View Post
                        Does any one have a guide for what screws go where on the stator cover? I had to replace them all, and didn't realize they were different lengths till to late.
                        Install the screws in without tightening, shuffling them around into different holes until they all stick out roughly the same distance, then tighten.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

A little tip here for the next time. When removing stator screws I take a piece of cardboard and punch the screw into the cardboard in the same position that I took it off the bike. Makes it a lot easier on re-assembly which may be days ahead.

Comment

Stator done, next I need a new shaft drive filler plug/screw. Mine is next to stripped round but now loose.

Comment

New electrical works, waiting on new Shaft Drive Filler Screw, and Carb Drain O-rings then its time for a fresh start. Should let you all know again by Thursday next week.
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2015, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X