Chain adjusters not synced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain adjusters not synced

Recently started hearing/feeling something wrong in the chain. It didn't seem overly tight on a sidestand viewing...Until I notice the chain adjusters are several notches different on either side.

What could cause this? I doubt insufficient tightening of the axle nut, as the chain/sprockets were changed last year, and very recently checked by a competent mechanic. Hasn't been dropped, slammed into a curb, etc.

Got her up on the paddock stand; will get to her in a few hours.

Once the noise/feeling got bad I stopped riding, so I'm hoping no damage was done to my new sprock&chain set up.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

The notches on the swingarm are not always reliable. There are better/more accurate ways to align the rear wheel than by eyeballing the notches. But off by several notches is a different story and probably means the wheel is way out of alignment.

I doubt insufficient tightening of the axle nut, as the chain/sprockets were changed last year, and very recently checked by a competent mechanic.
    Barring accident damage, insufficient tightening of the axle nut is the only way this can happen. So the competent mechanic assumption is suspect.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

That's a good question, Robb. A lot of people say their adjuster marks don't match but.... Things I would do is re-check alignment of wheels...and check alignment of chain too to see if it is going straight from sprocket to sprocket...ie: not riding on one side of one sprocket versus the other... might want a double check on any spacers and swing-arm bushings and whatever else might be thought of.
      Usually, the last thing you or someone else did (I mean me ,usually ) is where the first place to recheck closely. New sprockets and chain? maybe "aha" is thereabouts

Otherwise of course It's more important what the chain is really doing versus some stamped marks on the axle adjusters so if the chain and sprockets are straight on wheels that are aligned , that's the main thing...but I've never had the marks wildly different, myself.

Comment

Up side down right side.

This is the side where the exhaust hanger came loose two weeks ago. I'm pretty sure thats what caused the problem.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Rob S.; 07-18-2015, 06:46 PM.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          very recently checked by a competent mechanic.
          This would be my first guess. No one but you cares about it anymore.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Chain adjusters are synced, rides beautiful and quiet now, except for that damn chain guard. I know there's a little clip opposite the rear bolt hole, but I'm not sure where the clanking is coming from.

Any one ridden this model for any length of time w/o the guard? What areas of my clothing should I be looking for oil?

Comment

I've had this problem before (chain clanking against guard). My mechanic fixed it and told me about the clip, that I had it wrong.

Any tips?

Comment

Frig it. I just bought every nut and bolt from the Babbitts parts fiche. You haven't lived till you've paid $2.95 for a washer. Till then, I ride without the chain guard.

Comment

Working...
                X