Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs850g. bike has an intermittent "coughing"

Hello Gs forum!

Well, I'll go straight to the point....kinda.
    My bike developed an issue after stop and go traffic for some time. while stopped at a light, revs will go up and won't go to normal till I start moving. Also, had to give a slight throttle while stopped to keep the bike from dying (not too much, just a slight touch).

I read on bikecliff's website that it could be an air leak, probably the air intake o'rings. So I ordered 4 and replaced them today. Also, a clamp from one of my air box boots where missing and the boot was slightly off, so I fixed that buying a new clamp. Also sealed the air box with wheaterstrip as recommended on the airbox tutorial.

Now, the bike starts really nice, but it has this "coughing", only coming from the right muffler. I can rev it up with no problem, but it will keep doing this intermittent coughing after when it's idling. I want to mention that I took the carbs out, but didn't open them to avoid syncing them... am I right or should I re-sync them?

I want to go on a ride, but I don't know if it's safe

Also, My throttle won't come back once released, I have to move it up myself... is it too tight or what did I do wrong?

Thanks!!

Nico
    Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2015, 12:15 AM.

As to coughing at idle stuff.... Do you have a vacuum operated petcock still? Connected to carb #3 intake ? (Carb #1 is the one on left under clutch hand lever)
    get new suzuki throttle cables- yours are probably worn out
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Probably routed the cable wrong..assuming it would return ok before.

As for the cough. If its on the right side it gonna be carb 3 or 4. Put your hand on top of the carbs with the bike running off a gravity aux feed. When it coughs youll feel it in the carb that the cylinder is acting up on.

Once youve IDd the cylinder, check the plug wire to the cap conection. trim it back about 1/4 inch and rescrew the cap on. If that fixes it it was a bad wire connection.

If it still couchs it gonna be a lean or a rich condition. So turn the mixture screw on that carb in 1/4 turn and see if the couching increases in repeatability. If it does then you go out to the original 1/4 you just went in... and then another 1/4 to richen the cylinder. By mixture screw I mean the side ones.
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 07-18-2015, 10:57 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Time for new throttle cable or cables. Likely one of the wires has let go from the end. Change it sooner rather than later. I was three blocks from home when mine snapped. Glad I wasn't 300 miles.

Comment

Working...
        X