83 gs 650 hard start!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 gs 650 hard start!

My gs 650 is a bitch to start after setting for more than a few days. It cranks..cranks..cranks, then eventually one cylinder will catch, then another and then they all come to life. I thought originally the battery voltage was low, so I charged it and now it cranks faster, but still wont start like it should. Is this an "ethanol" problem? Is it needles and seats? I just had the carbs apart at the begining of this season and everything is clean and blowed out. I am running sunoco premium, should I add stabil or seafoam.... I am lost.

Have you tried to put the petcock in PRIme mode for a few seconds before you try to start it. Might just be fuel evaporation dropping the fuel level low in the float bowls. Cranking in the ON position will very slowly fill the bowls but in Prime mode it will fill them in a few seconds.

1980 GS1000GT (Daily rider with a 1983 1100G engine)
    1998 Honda ST1100 (Daily long distance rider)
    1982 GS850GLZ (Daily rider when the weather is crap)

Darn, with so many daily riders it's hard to decide which one to jump on next.

JTGS850GL aka Julius

GS Resource Greetings

Comment

Agree about priming the carbs if it's been a few days between starts.

Also, how long since your last valve adjustment? Failing to adjust the valves will have them hanging open and loosing compression, and continuing to run the bike will cause the valves to burn.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Probably clogged "choke " circuits in carbs -this supplies a bit extra fuel to aid cold start. During carb cleaning, you need to pay attention to the "choke "passages to make sure fuel can be delivered from fuel bowls up into carb throats, And apply NO throttle during cold stsrt or you defeat this system!Mine has always liked almost full choke activation for cold start. I can go weeks of sitting without using "pr" spot on petcock.

skip the premium fuel nonsense -87 octane is fine
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Three suggestions here:
          1. Clean the carbs, replace the o-rings. You said you "had them apart", but did not say that you had refurbished them.
          2. Check valve adjustment. Tight valves (the usual scenario) cause hard starting.
          3. Ditch the "premium" fuel. These bikes run just fine on "regular".

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

wow...this is all great info. Thank you all for responding. I will getting on the valve adjusting soon. I have never done it so it must be done. Will definitely try the prime position also.

Comment

Make sure you get correct camcover gasket for your 83 model - it has extra bolt hole compared to 81 model. Best to stick with genuine suzuki gasket; there are always some on ebay.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Where are you located? Goto User CP, and add in a location and signature block. Could be someone nearby to help you out.

My vote is start with the valves.
                '83 GS650G
                '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                X