Chain Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Cleaning

I've been doing a lot of detail/maint. on my bike and I was curious, I have a 630 non o-ring chain, I want to clean some of the rust off, I have a jug of metal rescue and thought I could soak the chain to clean it up before I put things back together, sprockets are good and not undercut so I just want to put off another purchase, this won't hurt the chain? It will get a complete oiling after a de-rust. I know its just cosmetic but there are some links that are stiffer than others, I've been running the chain for a year.

Originally posted by jbird7262 View Post
    I've been doing a lot of detail/maint. on my bike and I was curious, I have a 630 non o-ring chain, I want to clean some of the rust off, I have a jug of metal rescue and thought I could soak the chain to clean it up before I put things back together, sprockets are good and not undercut so I just want to put off another purchase, this won't hurt the chain? It will get a complete oiling after a de-rust. I know its just cosmetic but there are some links that are stiffer than others, I've been running the chain for a year.
    If the chain has rust and stiff links. It's junk. Time for a 530 conversion ( O or X ring chain).
    Last edited by mrbill5491; 07-22-2015, 06:50 PM.
    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

If you HAVE to keep using it, use kerosene or old bad gas that's no good for anything else and a stiff wire brush. After using the brush wipe clean with clean kero or bad gas and soak for a day in oil.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Once you have cleaned it, measure it to find out if it's too worn or not. Don't just guess, measure it. If the links are not loose, the chain is not too long, and it still fits the sprocket tightly I'd use it.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When it is time to replace, whats the difference between the 630 and 530 chain? I know all the sprockets will be replaced as well reguardless of chain type.

Comment

Originally posted by jbird7262 View Post
            When it is time to replace, whats the difference between the 630 and 530 chain? I know all the sprockets will be replaced as well reguardless of chain type.
            That is a question for a search as there are TONS of info out there already.

Comment

Working...
            X