Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

high RPMs and adjustment

Hey all,

So it seems that everytime I go out for a ride and my bike gets fully warmed the RPMs are higher than normal around 2500RPM vs 1500-1800RPM. I have adjusted it on the underside of the carbs here,

but it doesn't seem to want to start up for the next day or ride after the engine cools, So i need to adjust it back up again anyways.

Or is it the idle jet that i need to adjust this here?

I know that the idle jets aren't dirty, the carbs have been cleaned and overhauled.

What bike do you have? Have you synced the carbs? You may have an intake leak or need to adjust your mixture screws.
    Never mind I see it's a 550L.
    GSRick
    No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
    Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

I have changed the boots, and the box is solid, looked it over plenty.

I have a feeling its the mixture screws, i just found some things on basscliffe's website.

thanks.

Comment

Don't over look your valve clearance

Comment

"I know that the idle jets aren't dirty, the carbs have been cleaned and overhauled."

don't bet it being done right. Plus if the o-ring at each carb boot/ cylinder head interface hasn't been replaced, suspect an intake leak here, causing the very problem that you have. When bike warms up, metal expands allowing excess air to creep in.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            "I know that the idle jets aren't dirty, the carbs have been cleaned and overhauled."

don't bet it being done right. Plus if the o-ring at each carb boot/ cylinder head interface hasn't been replaced, suspect an intake leak here, causing the very problem that you have. When bike warms up, metal expands allowing excess air to creep in.
            Well I'm the one who did it, and followed the guides to the letter, and replaced those o-rings you are talking about as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tbonez91 View Post
              Well I'm the one who did it, .
              Exactly how did you do it?

It's not the jets, it's the near microscopic passages between the jets that are the problem.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Exactly how did you do it?

It's not the jets, it's the near microscopic passages between the jets that are the problem.

Following the tutorial given to me during my mega-welcome some odd years ago.

I took some time the other day and adjusted the idle mixture screws using another tutorial on basscliffe's site. So far it has made quite a big difference! I have to adjust it again and get it just right but now the idle is down to a more reasonable RPM.

Thanks to everyone who gave their input.

Comment

Working...
                X