Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb lemon juice bath is it good?

Hi.

I am doing my first carb rebuild. Since in Norway is not any things like chem-dip. I will use lemon juice but i readed that small steel parts can rust afterwards is it right?
    When I took out carb from engine 2 of intake boots just vent off from holder I bought 4 new one for 200 bucks . Is it any secret SAFE method how to put carb back on place ? Suzuki GS650GL 1982
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2015, 05:59 AM.

If you can't get carb dip, you might be able to pick up an ultrasonic cleaner. They do an amazing job. Look up Bikecliff's tutorial on carbs and keep all of the parts for each carb together. Your carbs look pretty grungy on the outside. You might want to use a degreaser with an old toothbrush to clean them before getting into the internals. Don't know about lemon juice, it's a good cleaner but may not be the right stuff to use for this application.

Comment

Thanks alot for suggestion. I found that Harbour ultrasonic cleaner . When I saw results on youtube --desided buy one today . I gonna upload picture before and after cleaning. But do you know about technique how to put back carburetors. On Bike Cliff's web is lots information how to disassemble carbs but not how to take them safe out off bike and in
      Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2015, 10:33 AM.

Comment

lemone juice turns the metal a dark nasty looking grey........
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by sihi View Post
          Hi.

I am doing my first carb rebuild. Since in Norway is not any things like chem-dip. I will use lemon juice but i readed that small steel parts can rust afterwards is it right?
          When I took out carb from engine 2 of intake boots just vent off from holder I bought 4 new one for 200 bucks . Is it any secret SAFE method how to put carb back on place ? Suzuki GS650GL 1982
          I bought a small ultrasonic cleaner. Found soaking the bodies in fuel cleaning additive first then cleaning in the us unit with normal detergents did a fantastic job.

You can get a basic us cleaner for around €100 - €150

Plan on doing a thread about it when I get home. Hopefully post it later tonight.

Comment

I saw today round 4 videos with same ultrasonic cleaner . Everyone use diferent mixture the first 1:1 water -vinegar second 1/10 caserol purple power and water another simple green with water another pine-sol 1:1 water . Now I read from Chuck H. that lemon make it grey . It's like peace of art find right mixture I mean it's doing something with chemy which ingredient best react with dirt without damage aluminum.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2015, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sihi View Post
              I saw today round 4 videos with same ultrasonic cleaner . Everyone use diferent mixture the first 1:1 water -vinegar second 1/10 caserol purple power and water another simple green with water another pine-sol 1:1 water . Now I read from Chuck H. that lemon make it grey . It's like peace of art find right mixture
              Dishwasher tablets work well

Comment

I was thinking about tablets you just confirm it thanks. Your carb. looks really shiny

Comment

Several here have told that the lemon juice turn them grey,,i was gonna try it but many advised against it. This is why i passed on that bit of info.
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Several here have told that the lemon juice turn them grey,,i was gonna try it but many advised against it. This is why i passed on that bit of info.
                    Not sure but the greyness may simply be surface oxidation of the zinc alloy. Simply buffing made mine gleam.

Bike runs sweet just on a bench set-up. I'll post a vid when I figure out how

Comment

The grey is sufficiently darker from the juice than what they looked like before putting them in from whats been discussed here. So that being bsaid, I would go with its the citric acid making it MUCH greyer than before. But hey if you wanna do it go ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                        The grey is sufficiently darker from the juice than what they looked like before putting them in from whats been discussed here. So that being bsaid, I would go with its the citric acid making it MUCH greyer than before. But hey if you wanna do it go ahead.
                        I see where you're going with that. Acidic reaction with the zinc increasing oxidation rates. I didn't use lemon juice. I soaked the bowl innerds and passages with fuel additive cleaner, then put them through the bath for about 30mins each body using simple detergent.

Comment

lemon juice will discolour carbs. avoid if you want them to look nice!
                          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

You will have to remove the airbox first. I have an 850 but I think the bikes are similar. To start with you will have to remove the tank and note how the hoses are routed. Loosen the clamps on the rubber boots and remove the bolt that attaches to the frame.You will have to take the hoses that the airbox is attached to and move them out of the way. One may slip through part of the engine framing. The others will rout around the back of the airbox. The airbox will only slide out of one side of the bike. If they have not been dismantled for some time the boots might be stuck so you will have to wiggle the airbox up and down to unstick it from the boots. Once this is out of the way you can start on the carbs.Loosen the front clamps on the boots and wiggle the carbs up and down to remove them. As you pull them out of the boots you will have to disconnect the throttle cable. The throttle cable mechanism should be rotated back and the nuts loosened so that you can slip the end of the cable out of the hole. There is a little slot in the mechanism for this. When re-installing make sure that the throttle cable is back in position before re-installing the carbs back in the boots or you will need three hands that are 1/4 the size of yours to get this back in after the carbs are installed. It will make it a lot easier to re install. I lubricate the inside of the boots with a little bit of oil or grease/vaseline which makes it easier to re install them. There is a thread on this site about softening up the boots with wintergreen oil. If you are having backfiring problems there is likely an air leak between the boots and the engine. There is an O ring on the engine side of the boot and after years it will become brittle and leak air. You should be able to get gaskets and boots from Z1 Enterprises
                            Last edited by Phred; 08-02-2015, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X