Winterizing ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winterizing ?

Winter is coming here in Norfolk, England (not that you'd know it by the temperatures lately - nearly 65* the other day). I am wondering what advice other GS owners might be able to offer on preparing my GS1000G for its hibernation, until April? It will be in an unheated, uninsulated wooden shed (watertight roof and not too draughty, but basic). I can take the battery off and put it on an optimiser. I'll spray it all over (except brakes & tyres of course) with GT50 or ACF or similar. I'm wondering more about petrol (gas) issues. I'm thinking about taking the tank off, draining it and bringing it indoors. Then draining the carbs. Or would it be better to replace the petrol in the carbs with something else? I keep seeing mention of magic potions called Sea Foam and I can't remember what else, but no idea what they are or even where to get them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get some fuel stabilizer (over here Stabil marine formula -blue- is a good choice) , add to gas tank before your last hour of riding so it works itself into carb passages before bike's hibernation. Try a boatyard and ask for advice- boats tend to have similar petrol storage issues.
    Only charge up battery every other month.

oddly still warm in my area too, but I'm not complaining!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Winterize? I can't imagine it getting cold enough there that you can't ride every once in a while. Not like you are in Winterpeg or Astana or someplace.
      Ride it for an hour or more once a month or once a week if you can and don't worry about it. Fill the gas tank when you put it away. If your petcock leaks disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, put on a long one and loop it over the handlebars so fuel doesn't keep going into the float bowls and evaporating. If the fuel doesn't keep getting into the float bowls nothing will clog up. If your crappy lead acid battery won't hold a charge for a month bin it and buy an AGM, it will stay charged a lot longer than winter lasts. If you get a big cold snap and can't ride for a month it's no big deal.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Winterize? I can't imagine it getting cold enough there that you can't ride every once in a while. Not like you are in Winterpeg or Astana or someplace.
        Ride it for an hour or more once a month or once a week if you can and don't worry about it. Fill the gas tank when you put it away. If your petcock leaks disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, put on a long one and loop it over the handlebars so fuel doesn't keep going into the float bowls and evaporating. If the fuel doesn't keep getting into the float bowls nothing will clog up. If your crappy lead acid battery won't hold a charge for a month bin it and buy an AGM, it will stay charged a lot longer than winter lasts. If you get a big cold snap and can't ride for a month it's no big deal.
        I was asking for advice on the best way to store the bike over winter - from now until April, as I won't be using it during that period. I wasn't seeking opinions on whether or not I need to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Get some fuel stabilizer (over here Stabil marine formula -blue- is a good choice) , add to gas tank before your last hour of riding so it works itself into carb passages before bike's hibernation. Try a boatyard and ask for advice- boats tend to have similar petrol storage issues.
          Only charge up battery every other month.

oddly still warm in my area too, but I'm not complaining!
          Thanks Tom, that's helpful. There are boatyards not far from here.

Comment

Some ideas here. They might not all be relevant, but may help.

1980 GS550ET

Comment

Suzuki details their recommended storage method in your bikes Owners Manual. You might want to check it out.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've winterized 12 out of 15 bikes so far. What I do:

- Fill the tank with non-oxygenated gas
                - add Stabil
                - start and run the bike for 5 minutes
                - shut the petcock off if possible
                - shut the bike off and change the oil and filter
                - put the bike on the centerstand and prop it up so the front wheel is just off the ground (if you can't do this over inflate the tires 5 psi)
                - attach a battery tender to the battery

Been winterizing for over a decade this way and never had a problem. Given the number of bikes I have, sometimes a bike will sit for 8 months before being started after being winterized.

Comment

Not sure If the UK has E10 (ethanol) petrol yet. If so It might be wise to fill up with some non-oxy fuel for the winter nap. You can get that at the boat yard too.

Originally posted by Ray916MN View Post
                  I've winterized 12 out of 15 bikes so far.
                  What about the other 3 Ray ? Holding out for indigenous people summer.....
                  Last edited by bonanzadave; 11-09-2015, 09:57 PM.
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                    What about the other 3 Ray ? Holding out for indigenous people summer.....
                    2 are winter projects that are drained of gas because they need work that requires the carbs to come off and the other is scheduled to arrive tomorrow from NC. Forecast looks like I might get another day of indigenous people summer riding in, so it is slated to be winterized next week or after Thanksgiving.

P.S. forgot to mention I check the electrolyte level too and refill as necessary before putting them to bed.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2015, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I don't think you can find non oxygenated gasoline at the pump in the US. Maybe in more rural states?

I'm gonna try the ride it once a month approach. At a minimum, I'll csn start it up every few weeks. Might pull off the tank in between and store it inside. My bike will live outside in the elements are winter with nothing but a cover. Will definitely run the carbs empty in between starts.
                      Last edited by hannibal; 11-10-2015, 12:27 PM.
                      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by hannibal View Post
                        I don't think you can find non oxygenated gasoline at the pump in the US. Maybe in more rural states?

I'm gonna try the ride it once a month approach. At a minimum, I'll csn start it up every few weeks. Might pull off the tank in between and store it inside. My bike will live outside in the elements are winter with nothing but a cover. Will definitely run the carbs empty in between starts.
                        DO NOT start it for a few minutes every week or two, or monthly. If you can't take it for a 30 mile (minimum) ride, then DO NOT start it up at all.

Comment

Could you explain why? Does that just introduce more water and other junk to the carbs?
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Could you explain why? Does that just introduce more water and other junk to the carbs?
                            Actually it is more that it introduces moisture into the oil and the exhaust system because unless it's run for a while fully warmed up the moisture from multiple cold starts will accumulate and contaminate the oil and possibly prematurely rust out the exhaust system. The more humid the air the bigger the problem. I've been storing for many winters and usually fill the tank and add stabiliizer, sometimes change oil if it's near due, run carbs dry or drain, pull the battery, make sure the bike is clean especially in humid climates (moisture likes to stick to dirt) and park it on the centerstand. Luckily I'm in a very cold and dry climate so zero moisture issues and usually store in an unheated shelter with no problems. Also the more you can keep the sun off it the better. My original stock instruments still show no fading. If moisture is a big issue you may need to fog the cylinders and do some sort of rust prevention to other external parts.
                            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Non-oxygenated gas is typically available at small airports, marinas and gas stations near marinas. Also sometimes available in wealthy communities as the exotic car guys typically have no problems with the extra cost.

Full tanks are less likely to explode and more importantly to rust. A full tank is less prone to internal condensation. Start up from long periods of sitting creates the greatest amount of wear since, oil will drain off of surfaces leaving them without much lubrication until oil gets pumped through out the engine. Running bikes in cold weather tends to result in condensation forming in the exhaust system which promotes rusting from the inside out.

Comment

Working...
                              X