Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1981 GS400L Parts - Why can't I find parts online?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS400L Parts - Why can't I find parts online?

Hi All,

I was given an 81/82 Suzuki GS400L. I love how it looks! She starts fine and runs... as long as the battery is charged .

For reference, the VIN number (less the serial number) is: JS1GK51L5B2xxxxxx

I've decided to replace gaskets around the engine and do some general maintenance, but I'm having serious issues finding parts. Every place online seems to only list 1977-1978 as valid model years for the GS400. On eBay, I can only find parts for the GS450.

Should I be searching some other model number? Are the GS450 parts supposed to be compatible? I'm looking for the correct stator/rectifier but I'm having zero luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

I am going to bet that most of the places you are looking are US-based.

The 400 was not available there after '79, so their catalogs don't show it.

The stators were probably the same as all the smaller (850 and less) GSes, but get a Polaris regulator, not a Suzuki.
    I ride many bikes.
    Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

You probably have a GSX400L, that was the one sold in Canada in 1981, I found a free manual for the base model online, if you want a copy I can forward it to you via email.

Can you post a few pictures of you bike and where are you located in Canada?

David
      2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
      2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
      1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
      2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
      1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
      1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
      1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
      Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

The 400cc motor that Canada and Europe got is only different in the cylinders, head and carbs. Everything else is the same as US 450L.

Motor top end parts are scarce and expensive new and scarce used. I wouldn't get too far into it [$] because it is a dead end. Valve cover and head gaskets are still available, but pistons and rings are problematic. I've converted mine to a 450, but it's run 65,000 as a 400 and still running great.

Because these engines have a tendency to run hot and crack the cylinder head, especially if the valves aren't kept in adjustment, I would have the valve adjustment checked before you go too far. It's a simple screw adjustment, but a precision job. It's not an optional thing, but job 1.

The compression ratio is 10:1 which means 92 octane minimum. Ethanol free 94 is what it should have, if you can find it. Regular 87 will kill it. The 450 is 9:1 which is less fuel fussy.

The usual cause of not charging is the stator which is readily available aftermarket. The stock regulator /rectifier is probably still working, but if you need to replace it, the Shindengen SH775 - which is available as a Polaris ATV part - is a much better device and will reduce the load on the stator considerably. Lots of info here on the GS charging system and how to make it far better than new.

Time to do some reading around the site and figure out what it needs and how to do it the right and easy way before you start.

Where in Canada are you?
        '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by Datsa Noydb View Post
          I am going to bet that most of the places you are looking are US-based.

The 400 was not available there after '79, so their catalogs don't show it.

The stators were probably the same as all the smaller (850 and less) GSes, but get a Polaris regulator, not a Suzuki.
          The stator is an 18 pole; the US 400 one is a 12 pole and will not work. The GS450 one is identical to the Canadian 400L.
          '82 GS450T

Comment

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this forum. Thanks for the great info everyone! I'll check out the site some more and keep digging!

I live in Calgary, AB.

Originally posted by John Park View Post
            The stator is an 18 pole; the US 400 one is a 12 pole and will not work. The GS450 one is identical to the Canadian 400L.

Good to know! I'll pick up a 450 stator.

Originally posted by John Park View Post
            The 400cc motor that Canada and Europe got is only different in the cylinders, head and carbs. Everything else is the same as US 450L.

Motor top end parts are scarce and expensive new and scarce used. I wouldn't get too far into it [$] because it is a dead end. Valve cover and head gaskets are still available, but pistons and rings are problematic. I've converted mine to a 450, but it's run 65,000 as a 400 and still running great.

Because these engines have a tendency to run hot and crack the cylinder head, especially if the valves aren't kept in adjustment, I would have the valve adjustment checked before you go too far. It's a simple screw adjustment, but a precision job. It's not an optional thing, but job 1.

The compression ratio is 10:1 which means 92 octane minimum. Ethanol free 94 is what it should have, if you can find it. Regular 87 will kill it. The 450 is 9:1 which is less fuel fussy.

The usual cause of not charging is the stator which is readily available aftermarket. The stock regulator /rectifier is probably still working, but if you need to replace it, the Shindengen SH775 - which is available as a Polaris ATV part - is a much better device and will reduce the load on the stator considerably. Lots of info here on the GS charging system and how to make it far better than new.

Time to do some reading around the site and figure out what it needs and how to do it the right and easy way before you start.

Where in Canada are you?

It all makes sense now. I figured this was some sort of regional thing, but I had no idea how hard it would be to find parts. I'll have to re-evaluate just how far I want to go on the 400 motor.

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
            You probably have a GSX400L, that was the one sold in Canada in 1981, I found a free manual for the base model online, if you want a copy I can forward it to you via email.

Can you post a few pictures of you bike and where are you located in Canada?

David

According to the covers on the side of the bike, it's definetely a GS400L, unless the GSX400L used the same markings.

Here's a photo (unfortunately the side covers are off in this photo).
            546815_768602368737_1632755937_n.jpg

Comment

This might help. http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gsx400l-...2.html#results

Assuming this is the correct fiche, you might find it easier to search by part number, rather than description.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

You have a GSX400L, not a GS400L... the US market used the GS moniker for both the two valve per cylinder and four valve per cylinder heads.

The rectangular end caps on the head give it away instantly that it's a four valve per cylinder GSX rather than the round caps on the two valve per cylinder GS motor.

Upside down down here we also know them as GSX's not GS'... confused?
                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

You should test the stator you have before buying a new one. Usually the insulation frys and they short to ground. You should get infinite resistance between any of the three wires and ground. You should get close to zero resistance across any pair of the three wires. While there is a colour code on the three wires, that was for an older switching system and for your purposes they can be interchanged freely.

The X in GSX stands for the four valve head. For some reason, they just used GS on the Canadian bikes, which is confusing. They're often referred to as GSX because that's what they should have been but it's the same bike as GSXs in the rest of the world. We got this model because the GS425 in '79 was a sales mess because the insurance tier cutoff in Canada is usually 400cc so you paid 750 insurance premiums for about 2hp more. In '80 they decided to get the US 450 bike but subbed in a euro 400 motor for us.

There's nothing really wrong with the four valve and there are lots of them still running 35 years later. I have a few bits stockpiled so if you hit a snag send me a PM and I may be able to help. I'm just over the hill in the Okanagan; grew up in Calgary but rarely go back.
                  '82 GS450T

Comment

Originally posted by steveb922 View Post
                    This might help. http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gsx400l-...2.html#results

Assuming this is the correct fiche, you might find it easier to search by part number, rather than description.
                    This is exactly what I do for my Canadian model GSX400E, 1982. Then cross reference part numbers to US models. I have ordered many correct parts this way. Some parts I want have different numbers and I need to figure out how Suzuki identified them. They appear to be the same part in some cases.

Before I purchased the bike I called Babbitt's Suzuki with the VIN as I had the same problem as you. They told me "no records found" and to check the VIN again. It's just not listed in the US.

Comment

1982 GSX400 EZ is what Murray over at Modern told me to call them, thats what the dealers refer to them as, E stands for 4 valves per cylinder and Z stands for the year (1982), or something along those lines. I've found the correct part fishe by searching for a GSX400EZ, its easy to tell by looking at the cylinder head cover, ours seem to be pretty unique looking.

Comment

Originally posted by C_OUELLET View Post
                        ..., E stands for 4 valves per cylinder and Z stands for the year (1982), or something along those lines. ...
                        Close. "E" is for chain drive, slightly upgraded options from any "base" model, if one was available that year, the "Z" does stand for the '82 model year, but it's the "X" that stands for 4 valves per cylinder.

Comment

Working...
                        X