Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to jack up a GS for working on the front fork? Taking off exhausts required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shaft, that bike is so clean it sickens me. Congratulations.

I have some beat up GK luggage on my 1000G. On the center stand, with that weight added, and then with the usual load on, you can pick up the front end by hand. Once the front wheel is off, the front doesn't come back down. I usually start by lifting the front enough to get a jack stand under the engine case, for safety reasons.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

With the bike on the centerstand sfust stick a block of wood between the pipes and a bottle, scissor, hydraulic, really doesn't matter what kind of jack. The pipes are so thick walled that they won't be deformed at all by this.

In a pinch I've also used ratchet straps and heavy weights to pull the rear tire down. Removing the gas tank makes this much easier as it removes a bunch of weight in front of the centerstand.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        Shaft, that bike is so clean it sickens me. Congratulations.

I have some beat up GK luggage on my 1000G. On the center stand, with that weight added, and then with the usual load on, you can pick up the front end by hand. Once the front wheel is off, the front doesn't come back down. I usually start by lifting the front enough to get a jack stand under the engine case, for safety reasons.
        Thanks Dogma..............she is clean & a once in a life time find!
        I'll post a proper intro & some pic's once I've finished the front end maintenance

Comment

I use one of those small two ton floor jackets. Stick it right under the front of the oil pan just touching one of the pipes. I found it useful when re-installing the front rim. With the jack angled toward me and I set everything up and lower the jack a wee bit until the axle slides in just right.
          Just be careful when jacking up the front, you can jack it right off the center stand on to the the back tire...you can guess what would happen next if the balance of the bike is off.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Just did this today on a GS850 and used my motorcycle jack under the pipes. When I pulled the front wheel and forks off, the bike went back onto the rear tire without any jacking on my part. Even with the front end attached there is very little jacking force required to lift the front wheel off the ground. What you can see is the rear tire on the floor and you can't tell, but the lift is not even touching the pipes. I have used bottle jack, floor jacks, scrap wood what ever to get the front wheel off the ground for removal.

Comment

Working...
            X