Gs1100l value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100l value

Have an opportunity to buy a 82 GS1100L with 4900 miles. It's in excellent condition. Has a V&H pipe along with original exhaust. I know the E models but not sure of market for an L. Is there value here? What would you expect to pay for one?

Can't see you riding one of those - not after that beast of an E you had.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

4,900 miles on it. Dang bike isn't even broke in yet. How much are they asking for it? You're talking about an 8 valve bike right?
      sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
      1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
      2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Value is So much a personal thing. In our area gs bikes are not money makers I buy because I want one ( my 1150. And 83 1100 Es ) are priceless to me. Prob wouldn't bring much $ locally old kaws are much better here around the St. Louis area. Only Pay what it's worth to you

Comment

Suggest there isn't enough info to make an intelligent reply. Compression? How much money will need to be put into the bike to bring it to the standard you hold? Will you have to immediately spend several weeks working on it to be able to pass inspection? How are the tires? Paint? Chrome? Value can range between $300 and $3000 I suppose based on condition. Mileage isn't a good indicator as a bike that hasn't been ridden much and has sat for a long time can have worse problems than some bike with higher mileage due to disuse. Show some pics and give a detailed description. I just bought an 80 GL1000GL and although the bike has some styling issues it is an easy project to get it 100 percent and I paid $1400. I wanted a shaft drive and not a chain and would have preferred the G model (looks) but can't find a G model in the same condition for the same price; probably because of the looks of the L model. I wil have my bike back on the road and one of the reasons I bought it was great compression, new-ish tires and a new battery. Only neglected maintenance I have found is disgusting oil in the transmission case (front bevel gear case) and the rear brake was full of jelly and disgusting and locked (bike had been sitting). Got my paintset back today from my painter.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

They generally are not worth as much as it takes to get them in roadworthy condition.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well, they make different bikes for different folks. Tossing your opinion knocking someone else's ride is... well... life is too short to get into it with your sort.

Comment

I just joined the other day, thought Id chime in. Picked up an 82 GS1100GL recently for $200. ODO shows 19K miles. It sat for at least five months and had spider webs throughout. Cleaning the carb jets and charging the battery got it going. I'm working hard to make sure it's road ready. The windjammer, while I would have liked to keep it, was cracked beyond my ability to repair. Here's a pic of how I found it. I picked up a front end from a GS750 and was delighted to find the lights look like they'll fit the 1100. After having a GS850G 25 years ago, I have wanted another GS since.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by geol View Post
                  Well, they make different bikes for different folks. Tossing your opinion knocking someone else's ride is... well... life is too short to get into it with your sort.

He was asking about the value of Ls, which is lower than the value of Gs and Es.

Not knocking anything, it's true. Most of these old GSes are not worth what it takes to get them in good shape. $1,200 to maybe $1,600 for everything from tires to cables to brakes to bearings, maybe a bunch of gaskets, some paint, plus a Hell of a lot of time and effort, for a bike that's really not worth all that much. You do it because you like to, or because you have no idea what it will all cost. The Ls, just like the smaller bikes are just not worth as much.

If you want me to knock Ls I'd be happy to. They really do suck.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I saw a pair of GS1100 on a motorcycle swap this past weekend clean titles on both but one was road ready 19kmiles good running condition one guy wanted $1700firm, other guy had one 8k miles with brand new tires 2-1exhaust really really clean all fluids changed $2100obo. I got mine as a trade for another I value at $1000 as is but needs front tires carbs clean. It all depends what you want I still think motorcycles are bad investment if you planning on making money

Comment

I ended up buying a project L for 150$.

The bike mentioned is what you would expect with 4900 miles, stored inside an office it's whole life. Paint and chrome is near perfect. Honestly I wouldn't want to ride a bike with such low miles.

Comment

But what was the asking price for the 4900 mile bike? Inquiring minds want to know.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Somewhere around 2-2500. Owner also bought it brand new.

Personally I wouldn't pay that. But I am a for profit kind of guy. An E I would be all over.
                          Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

I think it is probably worth what he's asking. I'd be into it at 1000-1500$

But when you can buy one for $150, why?

Comment

Working...
                            X